Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 188910 times)

Offline Hilly

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Wow, wow, wow...

Blade... Great recipe. I'm new to BIR cooking so I've been slowly working my way through the list of recipes on this site. Chewys base sauce was first...top notch. Then Chewys madras.... again, top notch! Then I tried the holy grail.... good chicken tikka and this has completed the list.

I followed the original recipe as closely as possible even though I read some of the changes / improvements from other members on here. I stuck with tandoori paste, the only thing I left out mainly because I didn't have any was methi and to be honest I don't think I missed it but if I had any I would certainly add it in next time.

Going to make a massive batch this week and shove it in the freezer because I don't think the portion I made today will last long!

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Wow, wow, wow...

Blade... Great recipe. I'm new to BIR cooking so I've been slowly working my way through the list of recipes on this site. Chewys base sauce was first...top notch. Then Chewys madras.... again, top notch! Then I tried the holy grail.... good chicken tikka and this has completed the list.

I followed the original recipe as closely as possible even though I read some of the changes / improvements from other members on here. I stuck with tandoori paste, the only thing I left out mainly because I didn't have any was methi and to be honest I don't think I missed it but if I had any I would certainly add it in next time.

Going to make a massive batch this week and shove it in the freezer because I don't think the portion I made today will last long!
Glad to see your enjoying the recipe's Hilly. I've stopped using yoghurt completely & switched to water as in blades recipe, for the time being with good results. I always make extra as it has an addictive quality & disappears quickly
ELW

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2012, 06:21 PM »
also great on its own...or as I prefer...chucked into a great madras sauce..Chewys preferably :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Wow, wow, wow...

Well you've made some great choices there Hilly - its taken me over a year of trying various versions to zero in on this tikka, chewy's mAdras and a base sauce very close to chewy's as my favourite recipes. I suggest you add curryhell's pilau rice to complete a quartet of reliable recipes.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I quarted, skinned and marinaded a whole chicken last night with this recipe and cooked it up tonight with some home made naan bread in my pizza oven. Then added some home made raita ..............GORGEOUS!!!! SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!! ;D

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27 AM »
Thanks for this Blade ,

Cooked it last night .. followed the recipe to the letter and I have to say it's jaw droppingly good , we had ours with mint raita and salad and so we're feeling very healthy this morning !! We loved the lingering lemon / methi taste that lasts in your mouth for ages after ... I could eat it again now !!    :)

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for the recipe Blade.

I am cooking this right now. My chicken has been in the fridge since last night, and is now under the grill...the smell is fantastic.

Lips are watering now, I think I will struggle to wait 5 minutes to taste but will try and manage it  :o

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2012, 09:39 PM »
I quarted, skinned and marinaded a whole chicken last night with this recipe and cooked it up tonight with some home made naan bread in my pizza oven. Then added some home made raita ..............GORGEOUS!!!! SIMPLY GORGEOUS!!! ;D

Wow Mick!! I can see why you need those flat blade skewers now  ;)   Nice oven mate!!

Offline benalder

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I tried this recipe last week using chicken thighs and drumsticks - superb. Have just marinated 1600g of chicken breasts today  ;D

Offline pauly58

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28 PM »
This is one recipe that really does work. I made a batch last weekend, turned out fantastic.

We tried some from a restaurant last night & even though it had probably been cooked in a tandoor it wasn't a patch on the tikka this produces.

©2024 Curry Recipes