Author Topic: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs  (Read 188748 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka - better than the BIRs
« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01 PM »
It's one of the best there is.  I've just done another 2kg bag for the freezer.  I'm never without it.

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Thanks Blade for this great recipe!

I have just made my 2nd batch of this tikka and I do love it. I have to admit it is not my favourite for using in curries.

But the flavours are so good that it is definitely my choice for a chicken tikka starter. This is a pic of it just cooked, hopefully I have done it right...

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2012, 08:04 AM »
Hi Tongey

looks good.  how are you cooking it?  Chicken tikka usually has smokey charred bits around the edge that add to the wonderful taste :)  A good blast under a very hot grill or using a chefs gas torch will achieve this.

Regards

Barry

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Hi Tongey

looks good.  how are you cooking it?  Chicken tikka usually has smokey charred bits around the edge that add to the wonderful taste :)  A good blast under a very hot grill or using a chefs gas torch will achieve this.

Regards

Barry

Thanks Barry

I cook it under a hot grill too. But normally, I use small kebab skewers and am able to close the grill door to retain the heat. This time, I could not resist using my new skewers (inspired by Razors Seekh Kebab post!) so I was unable to close the lid. Then didn't want to overcook them. They are delicious as a starter!!!

In fact, here is a picture of tonight's tea...complete with Blade's Tikka, Razor's Kebabs (not using my new skewers) and Curry2Go bhaji's... shop bought Naan :( with salad, Dipuraja Onion Chutney and Mint Sauce :D

All delicious... Thanks to Ray and Blade for the recipes!!

I got a Chicken Madras and Pilau Rice sitting in the fridge. I cannot guarantee it will still be there at the end of the night!!!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59 PM »
In fact, here is a picture of tonight's tea...complete with Blade's Tikka, Razor's Kebabs (not using my new skewers) and Curry2Go bhaji's... shop bought Naan :( with salad, Dipuraja Onion Chutney and Mint Sauce :D

All the home-cooked stuff looks absolutely superb (none would look out of place at, say, the Taj of Kent) but the shop-bought naan looks a terrible disappointment : more like a half-pitta than a naan.  Ignoring the appearance, how did it taste (and what make/brand is it) ?

** Phil.

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06 PM »

All the home-cooked stuff looks absolutely superb (none would look out of place at, say, the Taj of Kent) but the shop-bought naan looks a terrible disappointment : more like a half-pitta than a naan.  Ignoring the appearance, how did it taste (and what make/brand is it) ?

** Phil.

Hey Phil... sorry for the late reply!!

And thanks for the compliments on my home made starters!! :D

In fact, you are 100% spot on with the bread, it actually was pitta bread.....don't remember the brand, and would rather not remember the taste either :(  It was dry, and unappealing...  I just left mine and tucked into the rest........  :P

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Blimey tongey .. have to agree with Phil .. that looks as good as you'd get in any BIR and better than in a lot ..... the day I can make a plate up as nice looking as that I'll have reached my goal .. thanks for the pic !!!    :)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47 AM »
perfect starter plate :)

Regards

Barry

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I'm hungry all of a sudden. ;)

Nice effort there Tongey. Looks absolutely bang on. Even the pitta bread looks good to me (we can't get proper UK style pitta down here)

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Thanks for for the kind words guys!! :)

I would again like to thank Razor and Blade for the great Kebab and Tikka recipes that grace this plate  ;)

As it happens, I got a bowl of Seekh Kebab in the fridge preparing to cook and 1kg of Chicken marinading to cook Tikka tomorrow!!  I bloody love the stuff  8)

Going to have guest around tomorrow for the first time since I have been using BIR techniques so looking forward to it!

©2024 Curry Recipes