Author Topic: bombay aloo  (Read 9555 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
bombay aloo
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:59 PM »
My neighbour had a barbecue today so I said I'd wheel round my tandoori oven.He thought I was joking until I turned up with it with my wife me carrying my long skewers.I cooked some chicken tikka and tandoori chicken,unfortunately the vultures got to it before I could take a photo,needless to say it went down a treat.I also cooked some bombay aloo,it didn't last long!!

I followed Ifindforu's method for pre-cooking potatoes,the smell was terrific,it was almost like a BIR bombay aloo in itself.The surplus oil was out of this world,if this is like the famed used bhaji oil that's discussed on here then I'm hooked!!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: bombay aloo
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Looking very good jb.  Could do with some of that to go with my Elaichi NIS tonight :P.  Not sure but i suspect IFFU's method of pre-cooking potatoes is along the same lines as CBM's that i have used.  This too produces a wonderful BIR smell, lovely tasting spuds and the surplus oil is far superior to any bahji oil ::)  The method is contained within the group test on bombay aloo if you haven't already seen it ;)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I cooked some sauces tonight with the left over oil,the smell and taste was out of this world.

From left to right bhuna,jalfrezi and madras.I'm going to put them in the fridge and have them tomorrow and hopefully my curry senses have calmed down!!

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Will this result in a "spiced oil" convert I ask myself???   ;D

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Will this result in a "spiced oil" convert I ask myself???   ;D

A very good question!! I've resisted this stuff so far,in fact I've been very skeptical to say the least but I can't deny the smell I got from the salvaged oil was terrific.It was like the oil that sometimes spills out from a takeaway carton.Get it on your fingers and the smell lingers,get it on your clothes and you're done for.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Will this question (doubt) ever go away ??? :D.  I think next time i make a base i'll also do some pre-cooked bombay spud and add the cooking liquor to the base.  It can only improve it and add to the flavour of a finished curry. Nothing to lose and it may well result in taking one more small  step forward.  Who knows? ::)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05 PM »
HI JB could you please tell me what you used for a chef's spoon measurement, going to try this tomorrow.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:40 PM »
Will this question (doubt) ever go away ??? :D.  I think next time i make a base i'll also do some pre-cooked bombay spud and add the cooking liquor to the base.  It can only improve it and add to the flavour of a finished curry. Nothing to lose and it may well result in taking one more small  step forward.  Who knows? ::)

CH, just had a look at ifindforu's recipe for Bombay aloo and other than the usual ingredients I notice he uses
Panch Phoran which is a mixture of some interesting flavoursome whole spices  8) might be worth investigating  ;)
did jb use this in his Bombay aloo ?

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:05 PM »

other than the usual ingredients I notice he uses
Panch Phoran which is a mixture of some interesting flavoursome whole spices  8) might be worth investigating  ;)
did jb use this in his Bombay aloo ?
As does CBM in his recipe posted in the group test on bombay aloo  ::) :D.  Definitely worth a follow up I think as this whole spice thing keeps on raising its head and will not go away  ;D.  Sure jb will confirm he did the recipe to spec and used pp.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:58 AM »
HI JB could you please tell me what you used for a chef's spoon measurement, going to try this tomorrow.

My chef's spoon is about 4 tablespoons.

©2024 Curry Recipes