Author Topic: bombay aloo  (Read 9559 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: bombay aloo
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 06:04 AM »
Will this question (doubt) ever go away ??? :D.  I think next time i make a base i'll also do some pre-cooked bombay spud and add the cooking liquor to the base.  It can only improve it and add to the flavour of a finished curry. Nothing to lose and it may well result in taking one more small  step forward.  Who knows? ::)

CH, just had a look at ifindforu's recipe for Bombay aloo and other than the usual ingredients I notice he uses
Panch Phoran which is a mixture of some interesting flavoursome whole spices  8) might be worth investigating  ;)
did jb use this in his Bombay aloo ?

I did indeed use panch poran,a wonderful mixtrure of whole spices.I used to just pre boil my potatoes in salted water and turmeric,now I wouldn't be without the stuff.Just put your nose into the saucepan as they are simmering and you'll recogonise that familiar bombay aloo smell. i notice a few seeds in a quality bombay aloo I get locally so I'm guessing that's how they do theirs.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 09:17 AM »
I followed Ifindforu's method for pre-cooking potatoes,the smell was terrific,it was almost like a BIR bombay aloo in itself.The surplus oil was out of this world,if this is like the famed used bhaji oil that's discussed on here then I'm hooked!!
Hi JB
Can you point me in the right direction for this pre cook recipe?
Thanks

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I followed Ifindforu's method for pre-cooking potatoes,the smell was terrific,it was almost like a BIR bombay aloo in itself.The surplus oil was out of this world,if this is like the famed used bhaji oil that's discussed on here then I'm hooked!!
Hi JB
Can you point me in the right direction for this pre cook recipe?
Thanks

It's tucked away here Haldi...

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7825.msg68460#msg68460

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Thats the smell right there!

TEJ PATTA and PANCH PORAN ......The  Legendary Indian Mexican curry bandits  ;D                                                                                                                          (If only i was a cartoonist   :P Such great character names.)

My usuall method is to start off with way too much oil, and then spoon off what I don't want at the end.  I filter this and store in the fridge, then use it to start off my next curry.  For me, it seems to add a little depth and sweetness but, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have it.  Maybe you guy's would like to adopt that method to produce a more realistic and practical way of getting your seasoned oil?

Ray :)

The best bir aroma ive had to date,( and taste i might add after turning into a Bombay aloo) is from pre-cooking potatoes. Without doubt, its a Homer Simpson drooling smell and flavour you just have to swear out loud to yourself, "thats f*****g beautiful!"

The recipe is from one of Mick's (CBM) quotes

For 2 lb of potatoes,
150 ml of veg oil
1 tennis ball sized finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon of garlic/ginger paste
Cassia bark 2" x 1" piece
1 bay leaf (Asian)
1 tablespoon of panch phoran
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of tomato puree watered down 50/50
2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of mix powder
Water to cover

I now use this, with the addition of a BIG pinch of methi leaves and 1 litre or more of veg oil to make my spiced oil.
I just make sure i stop the cooking before the potatoes break down, then strain off the oil.

A similar method to you Ray, as in overcompensate and strain off.

Frank  ;)

P.s.  I tasted my bhaji oil after a good few batches and it was barely flavoured at all, bordering on just old veg oil. In fact, Old chip fat tasted better  ;D

Haldi and Jerry, have you ever made the recipe quoted from CBM for pre-cooked potatoes?

This is the ONLY recipe i've made that has a truly BIR aroma when cooked.
I've mentioned on a couple of occasions how good this is and is now what i use to make extra seasoned oil.
The only difference is i add 1 tbsp of methi and maybe 1 litre of oil.
the reason i started adding methi was because its a good enough recipe on its own let alone only being used for pre-cooking.
(Sometimes i've added base gravy too out of sheer laziness if not using for seasoned oil  :P )

The oil can have a slight sourness in smell after a week or so as it hits the pan which is no bad thing. I think it just matures in smell and taste and adds BIR to each dish thats cooked with it.
(Mick, i was really surprised not to see this in your book as its MILES better than the included pre-cooked recipe, a real gem.  :) )

That additional special BIR flavour definitely comes from oil and its created from whole spices and recycling.

I always add plenty of this oil to each curry which gets spooned off and saved for the next.

Frank.  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:34 PM by DalPuri »

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:51 PM »
I cooked some sauces tonight with the left over oil,the smell and taste was out of this world.

From left to right bhuna,jalfrezi and madras.I'm going to put them in the fridge and have them tomorrow and hopefully my curry senses have calmed down!!

I polished off my sauces tonight,they were fantastic.Did the oil make a difference? I think it did.It's been in my fridge and it has that unmistakable aroma.Either that or my curry making skills are finally getting there!!

I made another batch of the Little India Base Sauce using some more of the spiced oil.I was impressed with this one already but the smell I got when I did the second (bhagar) stage was terrific.I guess the proof will be when I cook with this new gravy.Here it is after blending.....

And again after simmering for ten minutes,the oil was starting to float.

All I can say taste and smell wise it was pretty much identical to the base gravy I got from my local curry house last week.Actually after using this spiced oil it was an even closer match.I'm actually going there tommorow,they're quite a friendly bunch;I'll take my pictures with me-they're always impressed with what I'm doing.You never know I might just get in that kitchen.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 09:49 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D How much spiced oil did you use this second batch of the Little India base jb?  Am all ears to see how the mains turn out when you cook with it ;).  If you get in that kitchen before i do, get the chef to make a saag bhaji and a North Indian Special for you.  Make sure you take your usual copious note please.  I want a full report on this one :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Methinks a tablespoon or two of Panch Phoran in my next base  :D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 10:16 PM »
And me thinks the pre-cooked bombay potato mix minus the spuds ;D

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 06:14 AM »
;D ;D ;D How much spiced oil did you use this second batch of the Little India base jb?  Am all ears to see how the mains turn out when you cook with it ;).  If you get in that kitchen before i do, get the chef to make a saag bhaji and a North Indian Special for you.  Make sure you take your usual copious note please.  I want a full report on this one :)

As per the scaled down version I used 250 ml

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 01:13 PM »
Thanks jb.

©2024 Curry Recipes