Author Topic: one pot base - as used by the BIRs  (Read 23722 times)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: one pot base - as used by the BIRs
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 07:04 PM »
Hi The Lantana,

Did you use the reclaimed oil when you made the Jalfrezi and Bhuna?   I have been using reclaimed oil for over 20 years now and get results that replicate restaurant dishes all of the time.  Thats what gives a dish that smokey smell/aroma.  CQ

Offline I Love Indian

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 01:10 PM »
Hi Blade

Don't know if you still monitor this thread but just thought I would let you know that I used this base to make a couple of curies on Friday night. They were my first from this site. What can I say!!!! A very easy base to supplement a recipe from a downloaded e-book from the site. It was a joy. Loads of very subtle flavours from the sauce, nothing overpowering anything else. With the additions of the other bits and pieces from the book recipe it made a truly wonderful tasting curry.
I will use this on a regular basis as it suits my taste but I shall also obviously try some of the other bases(especially the smaller quantity ones)
Once again thanks for the recipe, it will be well used in my house.
Cheers
ILI :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Hi all, just in process of making this base sauce, just wondering if any 1 could suggest a final curry recipe to make using this, thanks Andy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 11:00 PM »
just wondering if any 1 could suggest a final curry recipe to make using this

What sort of curry do you lke and are looking to make MA?

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 03:13 PM »
Hi everyone.

There was a series on the 'gogglebox' recently in which a chef went round trying to convert people from take-aways to 'DIY'.  One of the progarammes featued Indian food, and the programme footage was shown of the Curry-House kitchen at work. They showed the cooks blending base sauce in an enormous pot. The chap doning the blending used what looked like a hand-held blender, BUT this thing was enormous, a huge two hander!

As it happens I'm make quite a lot of base and I find using a conventional blender a bit time consuming, as I make loads in one go, and freeze it in 450ml conatainers.  (use the KD version with quantities doubled-up)

Anyone know where these things can be got??

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Hi adriandavid,

I use a 9.5 litre stockpot which is nearly full when I do a base. I use a Kenwood Wizard Pro hand blender which reduces this lot to liquid in about a minute or less.
I gave up on the old Kenwood Chef Food proccessor when I got hold of this powerful little beatsie, saves on a lot of washing up and moving hot liquids about too.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Hi corey ander, favourite is madras !!!!!!!!!!, but anything hot really. I ended up making a jhalfrezi and i have to admit it myself it was bloody gorgeous, proberbly the best i have made!! ;D, but i think that was definately down to the base, thankyou, i cant wait to use again.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Hi MA,

This looks like a pretty typical curry base to me (barring the coconut powder and the the garam masala perhaps).  In which case, I would expect most of the Madras/Vindaloo recipes here (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=3.0) to work well with it.

Please let us know how you get on (photos, too, if you can!)  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes