Author Topic: The Curry Guy - How to make British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries  (Read 9048 times)

Offline benmitchell88

• Chef
    • View Profile
Just noticed this guy has popped up on YouTube 'TheCurryGuy1', sharing some 'apparent' British Indian Restaurant style recipes which should be interesting to watch (and also to see if they mirror anything on here lol)

His base seem's a very unusal orange colour and the thickness of it is unlike anything I've ever seen but each to their own etc...  :)

Give them a watch, see what you think!  :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCurryGuy1?feature=watch

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
He's been around for a few years with his site, some very good recipes on it.
Been on his mail list for a few years myself.
Very helpful guy.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Dan is a top bloke.  Learned many things from his website when I first started up.  Still make his chicken madras recipe with mango chutney; love it.  Not keen on the look of that Lamb Saagwala though.  To be fair its not my fav dish anyway.  He's started doing some smoked spices recently that look very interesting.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
I couldn't decide if he's an American who's lived in the UK for a while or a Brit who's lived in the States for a while. I think from his strange (non British) pronunciation of 'madras' that he must be a Yank.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
I thnk hes from Australia originally and now lives in the UK.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I believe he is American from California, he lives in North Yorkshire and runs a business selling promotional items etc.

Offline pauly58

• Chef
    • View Profile
I wouldn't fancy a slice of his Madras though.

He must frequent some strange restaurants.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
Dans chicken madras recipe.  Made this many times with Mick Crawfords and Julians base and its wonderful.  Quite a lot of mango chutney in there and it works a treat I think.  With Jalpur gm added at the end its awesome.

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2012/01/22/how-to-make-chicken-madras-a-curry-house-favourite/

He is from the USA.  I have no idea why I thought he was an Aussie.

:)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dans chicken madras recipe.  Made this many times with Mick Crawfords and Julians base and its wonderful.  Quite a lot of mango chutney in there and it works a treat I think.  With Jalpur gm added at the end its awesome.

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/2012/01/22/how-to-make-chicken-madras-a-curry-house-favourite/

He is from the USA.  I have no idea why I thought he was an Aussie.

:)

Mango chutney and GM added at the end...definitely not typical BIR madras.

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
He's from California, got a taste for all things Chilli there and on moving to the UK he fell in love with Indian Food. I've been on his list for a while.

I tried his base a couple of times, Prefer Curry 2 Go's version - lately he's been branching out into some strange "fusion" stuff like spice encrusted salmon fillets etc etc, maybe he's running out of ideas.

I've made his Sagwala with fresh pureed spinach and it turned out ok.

©2024 Curry Recipes