Author Topic: Charpal Singh - where is he located?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Charpal Singh - where is he located?
« on: September 09, 2012, 04:38 AM »
This guy seems to be a mine of useful "Traditional" information. I made a version of his yellow gravy yesterday with ground almonds and caramelised the onions well (as opposed to deep frying them) before mixing in some yogurt. His use of several gravies is a bit reminiscent of AIR gravies but more like BIR in consistency.

Yellow Gravy:

Indian Yellow Onion Gravy

Butter Tomato Gravy:

BUTTER TOMATO GRAVY

The yellow gravy turned out very similar to a BIR and I did a Chicken Korma with it, very nice. Where is this guy? His background in the videos seems quite posh for India - is he at a 5* hotel there or the USA or somewhere?

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Charpal Singh - where is he located?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Hi BB,

He is a very famous Indian Chef, also works with or for Sanjeev Kapoor I think who again is another very famous Indian Chef, lots of vids available from both.

The series below looked like a restaurant style teaching course, training up coming chefs. They make a couple of dishes from them too, not sure if you've seen those vids.

You can see perhaps from these how the AIR type developed, somethings a little different. Ie, no fresh tomatoes used here, tomato paste as there is no time to do all that.

The yellow gravy is very similar to a Yellow Gravy that is used at a Punjabi restaurant that I have been in the kitchen for as well, except he (Brisbane Chef) doesn't add nuts to it. He does that so that he can serve to people who have allergies and adds later if the dish needs it. He also doesn't blend it fully but keeps some texture in it so that when added to a dish it gives more body to the sauce.

For a Lamb Vindaloo for example :
1 chef spoon Yellow Gravy
2 chef spoon Lamb Gravy with Lamb Pieces(this is actually a gravy with the Lamb cooked in it, same happens for Beef, similar to JJ, quite thick)
1/4 - 1/2 chef spoon Vindaloo Paste -  this is store bought from All India Foods, Lashand Brand and is supurb, can only get it 5 kg tubs though! I'm thinking of getting one it's that good. Would use with JJ's Master Gravy and add to it.
Bit of hot water is added and salt if required.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 06:42 AM »
I've got precooked goat and goat stock, might give the Vindaloo a shot.

I made the tomato butter gravy off the second video (half sized batch)and used it in a butter chicken with a heap of Kasoori Methi leaves - even SWMBO is raving over it  :-*
The gravy itself is luscious, I could just sit and eat teaspoons of it straight, and why indeed not!! My bloody gravy. lol.

I scored ripe tomatoes from ALDI for $4 a kilo which is a bit better than the current $8 a kilo around the place  :o

Unusually cold winter in QLD has set back the tomato crop for a month apparently, and dreading my electricity bill.

Offline slimboyfat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 07:21 PM »

Offline slimboyfat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:32 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes