Author Topic: Curry2Go Achari Gosht  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Curry2Go Achari Gosht
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:06 AM »
Can't believe it's took me so long to get around to trying this. I've had the recipe printed out and on my 'to do" list for ages.

We had friends round for curry yesterday. I didn't have any peppers or tomatoes in the fridge, and I couldn't be bothered going shopping, so it had to be curry without these two ingredients.

CA's vindaloo was a winner as always along with CTM phall. But my favourite was the Achari Gosht. Very quick and easy to make, I'll definitely be having this on a regular basis.

Anyone else tried this?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:19 AM by Aussie Mick »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Curry2Go Achari Gosht
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Sorry to drag back up an old thread but Achari gosht is a favorite if mine but I wouldn't know how a BIR version is distinguished. Surely it has to be more than a spoon of mixed pickles added to a standard curry?  I'm well familiar with traditional recipes which use pickling spices added whole, just wondering what the BIR standard might be? And how is this recipe from "curry2go" put together?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:11 AM »
Sorry to drag back up an old thread but Achari gosht is a favorite if mine but I wouldn't know how a BIR version is distinguished. Surely it has to be more than a spoon of mixed pickles added to a standard curry?  I'm well familiar with traditional recipes which use pickling spices added whole, just wondering what the BIR standard might be? And how is this recipe from "curry2go" put together?

Sverige:- I read somewhere recently that naming curry dishes is nothing like naming planets.  In other words there are many different dish names and basically people apply them as they see fit to almost anything.

Secondly, I have recently found that the addition or omission of a single ingredient may be all that is required to warrant a name change and in some instances it even tastes different. ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 03:15 AM »
Sverige, The worlds your oyster with indian pickle curries.

I published a BIR Achari video recipe a few years ago, long before the Curry2gone effort.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5834.msg57818.html#msg57818
Watch it here Achari Murgh

What ever Indian pickle you like/have or can get hold of, will work well in my recipe
as long as your using a neutral base sauce.

BIR curries are fast restaurant food, so the recipes have to be quick and simple
relying on extensive preparation and precooked elements. Cooking BIR can be down to
a simple assembly, to create an exotic Indian tasting dish for the English palate.

But even a traditional Achari Murgh, which could take an hour or so to make,
may get its main flavour from a simple addition of premade pickle.

In my vid recipe I use Amchur Powder for extra zing, but you could make a powder
out of the main pickling spices
fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds and give it a go.

cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:00 AM by chewytikka »

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Thanks guys, especially Chewytikka for that particularly good answer. I will experiment a little and if I hit upon a combination which really works I'll post it up.  I like the idea of an Achari mix powder, maybe will add a touch of Kalonji too, but not so much it takes over. 

Watched that Achari Murgh video too, very good technique reference and inspiring me to try something very similar.

Livo I guess it's true there's no such thing as 100% agreement on dish naming and ingredients, but I'd settle for getting close to what most BIR outlets would cook as an achari. I also have the recipe from loveitspicy to try: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12334.0.html

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Mine is just another take
As Chewy says - any pickle you like -

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes