Author Topic: Zing for under a pound!  (Read 6317 times)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Zing for under a pound!
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Not exactly recipe of the year and I'm not exactly recommending it but just to feel like I've made something today I made a cheap and cheerfull Mint Riata.

Just the usuall culprits... 50p tub of yogurt, Tbs mint sauce, coriander, salt and milk. The only unusual addition was to throw in a half tsp of Mr Naga.
Since discovering this stuff it has gone in my baked beans and everything else I can get away with it in.

I nearly polished the whole of the riata off before I got it the arms length to the fridge! :)
Would this be able to be used in a curry, I know people use it to cool one down but for us curry heads would it tarnish it?
Maybe just a tsp at the end of cooking... Just a thought?

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Zing for under a pound!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:15 PM »
You don't work for Mr Naga, do you? ;)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:45 PM »
 ;D
No, I just saw a vid that suggested to add a pinch of chilli powder to riata for an extra bit of kick but being my excessive self went the whole hog. As mentioned, it is not something that i would reccommend, more of a boredom experiment.
I apologize as i can't really bring much to this forum, just observing and learning as yet.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:44 PM »
I apologize as i can't really bring much to this forum, just observing and learning as yet.
Nothing wrong with a bit or random experimentation.  Any positive contribution is always welcome TT :D.  One never knows when you'll stumble across something without looking for it.  It's the day to day ad hoc stuff that keeps the forum alive and kicking.  And just occasionally, albeit rare,  there'll be a sudden explosion and maybe even a breakthrough ;D. Then it all goes quiet again :(

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Putting aside the added chilli does any type of BIR dish have mint riata added?
A C2G vid  suggests this and this, is why I'm intrigued. I should imagine it would be just a tsp to cool it down or something.
I very much doubt that this is a common practise, I may try it, it's probably a bit insignificant really in the realms of things.
Maybe I will ask on his youtube channel.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Putting aside the added chilli does any type of BIR dish have mint riata added?

You're really asking does any dish have youghurt and mint added as they're the 'unusual' ingredients. The only one that immediately comes to mind is chicken haryali which there's a recipe for on this site I think. And of course they're two of the main ingredients in some tandoori recipes. Another one that might use it, which I thought of while typing, is chicken chasni.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47 AM »
Can't help as to whether mint raita is included in any dishes, but certainly in my experience it is by no means unusual (although not universal) to find a BIR raita livened up with a little ground chilli.  Not so sure about the milk, 'though : I always thought that the yoghurt was diluted with water.  I also find that a small amount of a prepared sweetening agent such as mango chutney (or even redcurrent jelly !) can bring a home-made raita closer to that which one experiences in some BIRs.

** Phil.

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Well for anyone who may be intrested the vid is only 5 mins long and is here...
How to Make Raita - Yoghurt & Mint Sauce

Not really much for debate, just another basic to the point vid of which I enjoyed.
At about 4.14 it is suggested that it could go with something like a Rogan.

I made one years ago with caster sugar but I must say I much preferred this one for a really cheap and cheerfull mouth pleaser.

I would like to try out Georgec's mango chutney at some point....
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8773.msg78267#msg78267

©2024 Curry Recipes