Author Topic: what is bassar curry masalla ?  (Read 46973 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: what is bassar curry masalla ?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:40 PM »
A revue

I really don't like this stuff, I find it much to hard to control its pungent taste.

All your curries will taste the same or have this Bassar background flavour.

Bassar is a Pakistani (All in one) curry powder, unmistakable background flavour if you use Pakistani run BIR's.
Especially all you can eat buffet's, just my experience and opinion.

Bengali BIR's (The Majority) do not use it and most have probably never even heard of it.

I may try this in a Traditional Curry with plenty of water, which is what its designed for,
but more than likely it will stay at the back of my spice cupboard.

cheers Chewy

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51 PM »
For those that have experience of using this. Would it be right to assume that it is far hotter than, for example, Rajah mild madras powder? I ask as I am tempted to try Julian's suggested Bassar mix and note that the ration of Bassar is actually higher than his original mix using Madras. I understand the points made about a unique and overwhelming taste ( will make my own mind up on that one  ;) ) but I was certainly not aware of the extra strength.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:51 PM »
I love the flavour of Bassar masala!
It is a Pakistani curry powder and a Lot hotter than madras curry powder and probably more authentic than its British invented counterpart.  ;)
I'm still on the lookout for the Mild version to try in my mixed powder.  ;) (the original being too hot for a lot of people)

If anyone is living in the midlands, then you're a lucky person.
Looks like they deliver to a 30 odd mile radius around Worcester.
The prices in this place are great!
And a good range of products too.

It was the mild bassar powder which led me to them. The intention was to replace the madras powder with mild bassar in my mixed powder.

Unfortunately i'm just a bit too far for delivery.  :'(

http://www.asianstoreuk.co.uk/shop/home.php

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46 PM »
So if I substituted just the chilli powder in a dish with Bassar, would that also deliver enough of the Bassar taste?

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 04:51 PM »

I may try this in a Traditional Curry with plenty of water

cheers Chewy
I have some of this unopened bassar masalla, so you would not use base gravy with it then?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:19 PM by currylover40 »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 05:34 PM »
So if I substituted just the chilli powder in a dish with Bassar, would that also deliver enough of the Bassar taste?

Whether it would be "enough", I cannot say, but I certainly use Bassar as a chilli replacement quite frequently and enjoy the extra layers of flavour that it imparts.

** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 07:05 PM »
i use the bassar now and then. it's another thing i'd like to work on more.

it really is as chewtikka says. don't consider it as a mix powder or curry powder replacement. use it in selective mains

i have the "King of Spice" extra hot version - i can wet finger taste ok - you do get a slight heat on your tongue which you don't get with normal curry powder. i don't get lip burn. it's a madras heat for me.

i pretty much only use it (for a change) in place of mix powder in the kashmiri i make. for me i think it makes the dish. my boss disagrees.

i only use small amounts typ 1/2 tsp it's pretty strong on the taste.

i don't think you could make it - its quite a complex flavour.

quite amazing that i like it given i've not been brought up on Pakistani BIR and rightly or wrongly associate this type of curry with the ones i don't like.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 10:44 PM »
i only use small amounts typ 1/2 tsp it's pretty strong on the taste.

I use much more than that : tonight's curry, which was a re-heat of earlier curries with an extra T/A container of base, had 3 teaspoons Bassar and 1 teaspoon salt added.  Cooked until the sauce had reduced to the desired consistency, then left while I went off to a Neighbourhood Plan meeting.  Tried it (cold) when I got home and absolutely superb.  The meat, incidentally, was the flesh recovered from two chicken carcases after making a couple of litres of stock and a few more litres of base : still a good texture and plenty of flavour.

** Phil.

Offline Hightime

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Hello folks, first time posting here so bear with me.

I have no access to any basaar masala packets where I live, someone gave me the following recipe for a basic basaar mix:

500g chilli powder
125g haldi
125g dhaniya powder
125g curry powder
250g paprika powder
6 tablespoons mustard oil
2 tablespoons whole black seeds

I'm a beginner in terms of cooking, my question is, I'm going to try and make some qeeema aloo, how much of this basaar mix am I supposed to use in it? And should I use other spices along with this basaar mix or is this enough on its own?

Thanks.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 05:57 PM »
I'm a beginner in terms of cooking, my question is, I'm going to try and make some qeeema aloo, how much of this basaar mix am I supposed to use in it? And should I use other spices along with this basaar mix or is this enough on its own?

Difficult one, HIghtime (and welcome to the forum).  It all depends how much qeeema aloo you are going to make.  If just enough for one, I would suggest three teaspoonsful and some methi leaves, but I really could not guess how well it might turn out.  Searching the web I found this, which may give you some ideas ...

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes