Author Topic: Lee  (Read 4830 times)

Offline parabolic

• Chef
    • View Profile
Lee
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Hi guy's,

please give this a try,  I'm a tikka and tandoori lover, it seems to work for me and I hope it works for you too.

if you can follow as it is in the recipe on your first go and then if you feel it can be adjusted better let me know to try it.

Recipe is for around 4-5 breasts of chicken

2 tsp. Mustard oil
15g Patak
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:54 PM by parabolic »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lee
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38 PM »
parabolic,

very different recipe to what i've seen before.

the stage 1 of adding lemon juice and salt is something i used to do. i also added in deggie which gives a red tint to the surface. curry2go recently suggested leaving salt out which i've tried and seems to be better.

i don't have a feel for the "gm" units as i use measuring spoon.

i guess the coconut powder is best to use.

will make the mix up and give it a taste. one thing jumping out is the mustard oil needs to be a little more at least 15ml upto 30ml - it adds a nice taste to the chicken. the amount of pataks seems high - in the past i've found a "vinegar" taste surfaces if too much paste is used ie out of balance.

best wishes,

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21 AM »
to start with i though the gram measurements a breeze - my scales although digital are not really reliable for zero to 5g. in this range measuring spoons are best for repeatability.

i used coconut flour. i also liked the mustard having only the powder i added 1/4 tsp followed by a further 1/4 tsp (i don't know how close this is to 5g spec but tasted good ie balanced).

i like the taste of the marinade. most tikka marinade tastes awful yet amazes given the taste that's ultimately produced. aiming to cook on monday night.

so far the only niggle is the lack of yogurt given the part it plays in marinating. the marinade is also too dry to cover the chicken easily. i don't like sloppy marinade either. i think 2 ice cubes (30ml) of yogurt would sort.

in short very nice marinade and well impressed.

ps i made 0.5 batch which was plenty for 500g chicken.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Hi guy's,

please give this a try,  I'm a tikka and tandoori lover, it seems to work for me and I hope it works for you too.

if you can follow as it is in the recipe on your first go and then if you feel it can be adjusted better let me know to try it.

Recipe is for around 4-5 breasts of chicken

2 tsp. Mustard oil
15g Patak

Offline parabolic

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01 AM »
Nice one chaps, looking forward to your taste comments., JereyM; I surprised that it was not easy to cover your chicken, did you go ahead with the lemon juice and salt?

976bar, I wounder what it will be like without the mint? Perhaps I should try it too.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27 PM »
parabolic,

the recipe is not finished in my mind. the chicken did not tenderise and i put this down to the dryness and absence of yogurt. the dryness impacted the cooking too. the tikka taste has potential but overall needs further work.

i did use the lemon juice but left out the salt. for info i use as standard bottled lime juice normally in place of lemon juice.

i could taste a hint of the ifindforu and had put this down to the colmans mint but it could well have been a collection of the other ingredients of which there are some similarities.

it was all eaten but i don't expect repeat orders from the family members. the bar is already set as high as it gets.

i did enjoy giving it a try and appreciate the opportunity. i liked the coconut and the mustard powder.

Offline parabolic

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:14 PM »
thank you very much for trying this and the pictures.

I'm interested in trying more recipes of tikka and Ifindforu's.

Which tikka recipe at the moment is your top one?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 04:24 PM »
parabolic,

both very good. ifindforu just edges it.

best wishes,

links:

ifindforu org: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4968.msg48047#msg48047
lasan: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4182.0

current recipe:

©2024 Curry Recipes