Author Topic: Dinner Party help..  (Read 2670 times)

Offline ivangough

• Chef
    • View Profile
Dinner Party help..
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:04 AM »
Heya cr0 crew..

I'm after a little help! I cook a lot of curry and am known amongst my mates as a bit of a guru in this area. Having cooked a lot of traditional curries for friends in the past, I'm looking to up the ante at my next curry dinner party. I'll have 16 guests including a couple of vegetarians., and I will be cooking around 8-9 curries, plus making raita, chutneys, kachumber, poppadums, etc..

So I'm after some advice on the dishes I should include.. ie: what are your personal faves from the site? I'll want several veg curries, dal, prawn, lamb and/or beef, chicken, and pork, ranging from mild to medium with one hot vindaloo. (My favourite..) Oh and I'm from Australia so AIR curry suggestions are most welcome, as are BIR curries..

Thanks!

Offline beachbum

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dinner Party help..
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37 AM »
I'd definitely include Aloo Ghobi for the veggites - I make this fairly traditional version Aloo Gobi (Potatoes & Cauliflower) Recipe by Manjula, Indian Vegetarian Foodfrom Manjula, she's always good value  ;D. And of course the good old butter chicken with lashings of cream.

A good AIR "gravy" or base paste for the butter chicken would be:

6 large onions finely chopped then slowly fried in spiced oil (cassia, cardmoms)
When soft, add GGP then turn heat up and cook until well caramelised
Add spice mix (coriander, cumin, etc or a good dash of BIR dry mix if you have some already prepared) and some water, cook the paste for a while and add a bottle of passata, half a cup of almond meal, and cook until the oil breaks.

In your main pan cook some kasoori methi leaves in some oil then add precooked chicken, the base "gravy", thin it out a bit with chicken stock if you reserved some from the precooked chicken.

Cook it all in for a few minutes then keep adding cream until the curry begs for mercy  ;) I've noticed the methi really standing out in the restaurant versions, I'd be fairly lavish with it.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:22 AM »
For vegetarians how about Brinjal Bhaji and Bombay Potatoes? Recipes for both are on this site especially curryhell's Brinjal which is great.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Hi ivangough
Have a look at some of Restaurant video recipes I've made, some Classic and some Modern.
Something might take your fancy, BIR style.
https://vimeo.com/mikestyne/videos

1 Hour Curry Base- Curry in a Hurry
3Hr Curry Base
Chicken Madras
Bhuna Chilli Beef
Jhal Frezi
Korma Prawn
Flavoured Pilau Rice (Akni)
Chicken Chatt
Chicken Tikka Rezala
Pudina Chicken
Achari Chicken
Dhansak Prawn
Chicken Tikka Lau
Nihari Gosht
Tarka Dhal

cheers Chewy

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Heya cr0 crew..

I'm after a little help! I cook a lot of curry and am known amongst my mates as a bit of a guru in this area. Having cooked a lot of traditional curries for friends in the past, I'm looking to up the ante at my next curry dinner party. I'll have 16 guests including a couple of vegetarians., and I will be cooking around 8-9 curries, plus making raita, chutneys, kachumber, poppadums, etc..

So I'm after some advice on the dishes I should include.. ie: what are your personal faves from the site? I'll want several veg curries, dal, prawn, lamb and/or beef, chicken, and pork, ranging from mild to medium with one hot vindaloo. (My favourite..) Oh and I'm from Australia so AIR curry suggestions are most welcome, as are BIR curries..

Thanks!

We're all here to help if you can decide on what dishes you want to include :)

©2024 Curry Recipes