Author Topic: Hi from not so sunny Manchester  (Read 7576 times)

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from not so sunny Manchester
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Hi Razor

lol.. i get asked that a lot you know!.... i think somewhere along the line their a family connection
Im originally an Audenshaw lad, lived on Cartwright street (near the Sun pub) then moved up near Ryecroft hall (Still Audenshaw)
So i know Guide bridge very well, small world indeed!, infact i used to work at the "church" pub many many many years ago its now the Plaza Indian Restaurant

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Jason,

It's a smaller world than you think mate. From 1982, I lived on Manchester rd, facing what is now a Pizza Hut (Kelly Bros) and hung around on Ryecroft hall for many a good year, as well as the Snipe estate.  I'm now 42, so not sure if our paths ever crossed but it's likely they did at some point?

Big Vic Podmore is a well know bloke, used to run The Waterloo Tavern on the outskirts of Ashton.  Proper old school type of landlord.

Ray

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27 PM »
its an even smaller world than what you think, my Mum had the off licence (Assheton wine stores) on the side where the post office and wheelchair centre is, in the early 90's my Auntie took it over and now its a sun bed shop owned by my cousin!.
My parents now live on Slate Lane so im round them parts very often!
blimey eh!, im 42 also, we must know each other to look at although the years and the curries have had there toll...lol

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Jason,

Bloody hell :o

Well my full name is Ray O'Brien, I had very fair hair as a kid but am as bald as a coot these day's :(  I went to Littlemoss High school but most of my mates went to either West End or Audi.

Few of the guy's I knocked around with include; Bob Derek, Hazza, Pete Whyatt, Lee Hayman, Glen Thrupe, Howard Donald (Yes, the Take That one!) Daz Turner and many many more.

Yes, I used to go in the Offi that your mum owned or at least I used to send sombody in who was old enough lol

Our house has gone now on Manchester road, making way for the trams, if they ever happen?

Ray :)

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Ha Ha, i know quite a few of them names.. went to West End school with Lee Hayman (last i saw him he had just got out of the forces!), Pete whyatt, Daz and i think Glen...
We know Howards brother Tyson, he goes into our local

see this small world has just turned into a bubble!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 03:08 PM »
He he,

Yeah, Lee was in the Army and ended up going to the gulf the 1st time around, not seen him since New Year though.  I've just come back from Egypt with Pete and see him every Saturday night.

If you went to West End, you will probably know my 1st wife Tracy Bishop? We were together for years but driffted apart like ya do.  I have two sons to her, one at 22 and the other at 20

Tony Cheetham was my best man at my second wedding (he's a fookin nut job)

Bloody ell, can't believe you know all my old mate, remarkable ;D

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Bloody hell.. yep i was in the same year as Tracy Bishop as i recall, it's amazing isnt it!.
I know that West End have reunions every now and again, but to tell you the truth i cant stomach going to one of those things, people try and say your school days are the best of your life, they're bloody liars ha ha

the name tony cheetham is really ringing a bell, the old grey cells havent thought about these things in many years

I remember when the "shareen" first opened up and that was my first enterance to curries other than the ones made from tinned sauces my dad used to make!, that must be a good 20 odd years now!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Yeah, the Shareen opened in the old TSB bank next to Kwangtung Chippy, It's The Red Lounge now, and it's not bad but the Plaza is better in my opinion!

Tony Cheetham, well, he had big frizzy hair back then but like mine, it's all gone now.  I think he used to knock about with Steve Forrester. Andy Taylor, Zia Mirza, Nanu Patel and so on.

I don't like the school reunions either, mainly because mine was an all lads school, bit boring really a bunch of fat old blokes going on about how great school was, when we know it was shite ???

I remember the West End one, it was held at the Corpy at Guide Bridge and apparently, Shayne Burgess turned up pissed out of his tree and ruined things :-\

I think we've turned this thread into the Ray and Jason show ha ;D

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Yeah but as bob Hoskins said "It's Good to talk"

Tony really does ring a bell but were talking 26 years ago ha ha.. Nowadays i find it hard to remember my name half the name, also Nanu, im pretty sure i knew him too!
Do you remember Peter Wiseman or Julia Robinson
Yup i know the hair thing back in the 80's/ early 90's i  was a rocker with poodle hair!, all gone now, probally for the best dont wanna walk around looking like Peter Stringfellow!.. ha ha

Iv had a few takeouts from the Red lounge, some good, some bad and i havent been to the Plaza in about 2 years, but it was always really nice, looks like they're doing well with the new extension they've had, mind iv been told the prices have increased quite a bit.

I live up near the college now so we have a walk to the Indian ocean now and again and on them very infrequent weekends when we dont have wedding to shoot (i think i mentioned the better half is photographer and i second shoot), we have been know to order takeouts from stalybrige when the alcohol shows signs that we are incapable of going near a naked flame to actually try and cook anything....lol

Offline Mayapaula

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 03:03 PM »
Hi Ray,
I'm searching for Tracey Bishop as she was one of my good friends as West End. Can you help me. I've been shearching for her for ages. My name the was Paula West. Can you help?

©2024 Curry Recipes