Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Ceylon - Coming Together Nicely :)  (Read 8310 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Ceylon - Coming Together Nicely :)
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Finally getting to grips with the bulk BIR style cooking :)

Saturday evening, I made 15Kg of Chicken Tikka (albeit Knorr professional tikka paste instead of Pataks) and I didn't use any orange food colouring, left it to marinade until this morning, then put it all into trays and pre-cooked it.

Made Taz's base, (3 times the amount that is on the sheet) to the button. Then finally made CA's Chicken Ceylon, but with the Chicken Tikka.

I'm happy now with Taz's base in large quantities, (haven't changed anything) and the final dish today came out in near perfect BIR style. The only things I changed on his recipe, was the amount of Chili Powder as trebling it up would have caused an explosion, and the same with the amount of lemon juice.

I did add a further 4 tins of coconut milk, but the end result was marvelous. I even got the oil separation from both the base and the final dish :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Ceylon - Coming Together Nicely :)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:40 PM »
WOW, that looks great.... 8)
enough to feed the CRO regulars for a week!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Looks great 976. Do you think with your new found knowledge of bulk cooking you could come up with some recipes for cooking some of the forum favourites in the largest pot many of us will have at home, something like a 6 to 8 litre stockpot? Cooking in bulk this way might be a time saving way of getting 12 or 15 portions of curry cooked at once and allow for freezing the finished curries in take away trays for reheating when required.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Now that top image (link below) is by far the best picture I have seen from the kitchens of Royal Holloway.  I seem to recall that you were initially on a six-week trial : am I right in this, and if so, will you accept a continuation if offered one ?

** Phil.
--------
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/pics/e137edc2840b6e6953d89870b974edd9.jpg

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Now that top image (link below) is by far the best picture I have seen from the kitchens of Royal Holloway.  I seem to recall that you were initially on a six-week trial : am I right in this, and if so, will you accept a continuation if offered one ?

** Phil.
--------
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/imagehost/pics/e137edc2840b6e6953d89870b974edd9.jpg

Hi Phil,

It's a shame you couldn't make it today. I have been told by Carol the Head Chef at the Uni that I can stay on for as long as I want :)

The only problem with that, is that I really don't think I can afford to :( which is a big shame as it is a dream come true for me...

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Looks great 976. Do you think with your new found knowledge of bulk cooking you could come up with some recipes for cooking some of the forum favourites in the largest pot many of us will have at home, something like a 6 to 8 litre stockpot? Cooking in bulk this way might be a time saving way of getting 12 or 15 portions of curry cooked at once and allow for freezing the finished curries in take away trays for reheating when required.

Hi Chris,

The difference which made the difference today, was that I cooked the chicken tikka separately in the ovens and let it cool just as I would at home then made the sauce, then added the meat, just as I would at home, whereas before, it was a case of adding oil to the "Brat Pan", then sealing the meat/chicken, then adding the G&G, spices, tomato puree, base etc etc...

This is the first time I have achieved a near on "BIR" curry on such a large scale and will continue to develop this with other dishes.

I am sure that in the near future I will be able to post some recipes on here for the party goers :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 09:20 PM »
It's a shame you couldn't make it today. I have been told by Carol the Head Chef at the Uni that I can stay on for as long as I want :)  The only problem with that, is that I really don't think I can afford to :( which is a big shame as it is a dream come true for me...
Oh dear, that's a great shame.  Mind you, bearing in mind your former occupation, I can hardly say I am surprised.  So, do you think that six weeks and it's all over, or might you stay on until (say) Christmas, just to gain additional experience in a commercial kitchen ?

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32 PM »
It's a shame you couldn't make it today. I have been told by Carol the Head Chef at the Uni that I can stay on for as long as I want :)  The only problem with that, is that I really don't think I can afford to :( which is a big shame as it is a dream come true for me...
Oh dear, that's a great shame.  Mind you, bearing in mind your former occupation, I can hardly say I am surprised.  So, do you think that six weeks and it's all over, or might you stay on until (say) Christmas, just to gain additional experience in a commercial kitchen ?

** Phil.

Right now Phil, I will stay there for as long as I can. It's still pretty quiet in the other industry and if the money side of things could change I would stay, so who knows, I might be making turkey & Cranberry Filo Sacks there for Xmas yet :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45 PM »
WOW, that looks great.... 8)
enough to feed the CRO regulars for a week!

Thanks Willy,

It's certainly been a fantastic learning experience for me, and I hope to share a lot more with everyone soon :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Right now Phil, I will stay there for as long as I can. It's still pretty quiet in the other industry and if the money side of things could change I would stay, so who knows, I might be making turkey & Cranberry Filo Sacks there for Xmas yet :)

Well, that's great news from my perspective, because I have just ordered 30 25L sacks of lawn top-dressing to be delivered to a friend's home in Camberley (local supplier, too bulky and too heavy for nationwide delivery), so I will need to make more than one Chainhurst--Camberley--Chainhurst trip to get it all home, and with any luck I can time one to take in a Bob BIR-special at College.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes