Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Ceylon - Coming Together Nicely :)  (Read 8308 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Ceylon - Coming Together Nicely :)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Right now Phil, I will stay there for as long as I can. It's still pretty quiet in the other industry and if the money side of things could change I would stay, so who knows, I might be making turkey & Cranberry Filo Sacks there for Xmas yet :)

Well, that's great news from my perspective, because I have just ordered 30 25L sacks of lawn top-dressing to be delivered to a friend's home in Camberley (local supplier, too bulky and too heavy for nationwide delivery), so I will need to make more than one Chainhurst--Camberley--Chainhurst trip to get it all home, and with any luck I can time one to take in a Bob BIR-special at College.

** Phil.

Good luck with the lawn...Just give me some notice so that we can accommodate... ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:32 PM »
If you are around on Thursday evening Phil, we have another Indian night. Everything you would expect from a BIR but on a much larger scale. Made 4 x size of Taz's base today, Chicken is marinading in one of the massive fridges.

Chicken Tikka Masala (CA's), Chicken Tikka Ceylon (CA's Chicken Ceylon but with Tikka), Chicken Madras (CA's), (apparently the students love Chicken!!!), Brinjal Aloo Bhaji, (Thanks to Curryhells, Brinjal Bhaji but with potatoes), Rice, Onion Bhajis (Indian Garden), Mini Naan Breads, Poppadoms, Coriander Chutney (Mine), Yogurt mint sauce, Indian salad (cucumber, tomato, red onion, coriander), Mango Chutney....

Not sure if I have forgotten anything yet, but will advise later :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21 PM »
If you are around on Thursday evening Phil, we have another Indian night.
Can't make it before I leave for Abu Dhabi & Shanghai, Bob; return on 22nd or thereabouts, so will liaise with you on my return.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:27 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:09 AM »
Bob - your mass production curry exploits have got me thinking... over here in Canada, most Indian Restaurants focus on the buffet style. Large plates of various curries etc under heat lamps, replenished as they get eaten, or just turn foul.

This type of Indian restaurant, I cannot stand. Awful curries. I'd rather eat McDonalds.

Since learning BIR cooking - base plus mains cooked on demand - I can see why the "buffet" style could never replicate what I remember as proper BIR.

You seem to be doing it with the Taz base and established cr0 main recipes. Does it scale well? Why don't the buffet guys do it? Cost?

Just curious what you think.

Cheers and great work,
-- Josh

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 05:40 AM »
Bob - your mass production curry exploits have got me thinking... over here in Canada, most Indian Restaurants focus on the buffet style. Large plates of various curries etc under heat lamps, replenished as they get eaten, or just turn foul.

This type of Indian restaurant, I cannot stand. Awful curries. I'd rather eat McDonalds.

Since learning BIR cooking - base plus mains cooked on demand - I can see why the "buffet" style could never replicate what I remember as proper BIR.

You seem to be doing it with the Taz base and established cr0 main recipes. Does it scale well? Why don't the buffet guys do it? Cost?

Just curious what you think.

Cheers and great work,
-- Josh

Hi Josh,

Yes it does scale well. With Taz's Base, all I have done is quadrupled the quantities, (largest base I have ever made), using 8 litres of water, 4kg onions, 4 green peppers, 24 garlic cloves cut in half, 4 x 2 x 1 inch pieces of ginger, 6 tbps Turmeric, 6 tbs of both Coriander & Cumin seeds, 1.6 litres of oil, 4 desert spoons of salt. Oh, and I use 1.6kg chopped tinned tomatoes.

I have started cooking the onions in the oil first until soft and translucent, then adding everything else, simmering for about and hour and a half, (time doesn't seem to matter too much when working in a commercial kitchen as there is always something else to do whilst waiting), then blend to a smooth liquid, then return to a low heat until the oil separates.

I've discovered cooking the chicken in trays in the ovens first at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes, gets it three quarters of the way there. Make the sauce in a large "Brat Pan", then add the chicken and cook for a further 10 minutes on a low heat just to finish the chicken off, which comes out so succulent.

I can only think the buffet guys don't do it as they are probably making a lot more dishes than say my 3 or 4 which is time consuming, but shouldn't be if everyone pulls their weight in the kitchen.... It's easy to prep in between services and par cook or marinade something a couple of days in advance :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 05:41 AM »
If you are around on Thursday evening Phil, we have another Indian night.
Can't make it before I leave for Abu Dhabi & Shanghai, Bob; return on 22nd or therebouts, so will liaise with you on my return.

** Phil.

Have a good trip Phil, hopefully see you upon your return :)

©2024 Curry Recipes