Author Topic: Zaal - Restaurant - Red Masala Sauce  (Read 19530 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Zaal - Restaurant - Red Masala Sauce
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Zaal Restaurant - Masala / Red Sauce

This red sauce recipe is a scaled down version of the recipe that is used in the Zaal restaurant.

Credits and thanks to Az and his staff @ Zaal restaurant in Fleet ( http://www.zaalfleet.com/ )

Thanks to the Fleet 5 for the original notes and post ( http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7860.0 )

*** The level chef spoon volume used in this example is 3 x tablespoons capacity.

** This recipe makes approx 4 large TA size containers of red sauce.
** The red sauce can be frozen in portions and defrosted as required.

Stage 1 - Gather Ingredients

There are a lot of ingredients, make sure you have everything you need and that it is to hand.

Stage 2 - Onion Base

(Pan 1) - In a stock pot add:

4 or 5 x Finely chopped large onions
1 x tbsp g&g paste
0.75 x tbsp salt
2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
1.5 x heaped chefs spoons of veg ghee
3 second squirt of lemon dressing
1 chefs x spoon of methi leaves

Cook fairly gently for 30 to 40 mins until the onions melt / become very soft.

Stage 3 - Red Masala Mix

*** A You Tube video should appear below - Sometimes it seems not too!

British Indian Restaurant BIR Red Tikka Masala Sauce (Clips)

While pan 1 is cooking:

(Pan 2) In a seperate pan add & mix:

1 tbsp x Tikka paste
1.5 x tbsp Tandoori paste
1 tsp x Kashmiri masala paste
1 tsp x Garden mint sauce
1 chefs x spoon of sugar (More if needed - Adjust to taste)
1 chefs x spoon of ground almonds
0.5 x chefs spoons of coconut flour/powder (You can substitute creamed coconut block if necessary)
350g x natural yoghurt
1 tbsp x concentrated tamarind paste
A little Orange colouring if desired (The days of red have gone)

*** Tamarind paste: I used 1 x tbsp of Tamarind concentrated Paste from TRS mixed with 3 to 4 tbsp of hot water.
(http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-TRS-Tamarind-Concentrated-Paste.html)

Stage 4 - The 'Combination' Phase

Add pan 2 contents into pan 1 and mix well.

Gently cook pan 1 mixture on a medium/low heat for about 10 minutes.

*** You must keep an eye on this mixture, stir frequently and make sure it does not burn at all.

After the mixture has been well heated through, take off the heat and leave to cool.

When cool, blend it all up with a stick blender and taste. If it is too tart add more sugar. At Zaal, we added another 2 chefs spoons worth of caster sugar as Az didnt realize how concentrated the tamarind was and we added a whole chefs spoons worth.

Pour into a tray too cool, then chill in the fridge.

There are lots of uses for this, the main ones being a CTM and a Roshney Chicken.

To make it into a CTM (Chicken Tikka Masala) just add one heaped chefs spoon of this masala to 2 ladles of base and stir in some single cream and reduce until the right thickness - it tastes very nice.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:59 AM by solarsplace »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Zaal - Restaurant - Red Masala Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Thanks for putting this up. :)

Is that methi leaves I see in the pot? Can't see any mention of them in the written recipe. How much do you use?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:55 AM by Naga »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Thanks SS! :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Thanks for putting this up. :)

Is that methi leaves I see in the pot? Can't see any mention of them in the written recipe. How much do you use?

Hi Naga

Thank you for spotting that! - I must have checked the post through about 20 times and I still missed something obvious! - Post edited to add 1 x chef spoon of Methi leaves.

Cheers

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 11:04 AM »
thanks for taking the time and doing a fantastic post... appreciated !

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Not sure how this one snook under my radar Russ, but it did.  Well done for producing a clearly ordered recipe (not sure about the tbs of tamarind concentrate though  :o ;D).  I really must make this followed by a Roshney (vindaloo strength of course) in memory of the Zaal Experience, a turning point in my BIR cooking skills  ::)

Offline kbmason79

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:13 AM »
Hi Solarspace,

Can you please tell me how this is to be stored EG fridge,freezer?

Cheers

Barry

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 12:47 PM »
everyone touches the spoon to taste the kashmiri paste, surprisingly the same spoon goes back into the container. I'm a bit OCD about these things, but I accept that this and a lot worse can happen in any kitchen, not just BIR, it's just the fact that he didn't really care even though a camera was pointing at him.   ::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:37 PM »
everyone touches the spoon to taste the kashmiri paste, surprisingly the same spoon goes back into the container. I'm a bit OCD about these things, but I accept that this and a lot worse can happen in any kitchen, not just BIR, it's just the fact that he didn't really care even though a camera was pointing at him.   ::)

So you won't want to see the video of the muslim chef doing his pre-prayer ablutions in the same sink that the dishes and veg get washed in then (complete with blowing copious amounts of snot out of his nose!). ;D

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:40 PM »

So you won't want to see the video of the muslim chef doing his pre-prayer ablutions in the same sink that the dishes and veg get washed in then (complete with blowing copious amounts of snot out of his nose!). ;D

That one sounds somewhat curious.. hah ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes