Author Topic: Wok Gas Burner Recommendation  (Read 7376 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Wok Gas Burner Recommendation
« on: October 07, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I'm looking for a Wok Gas Burner so that I can create better stir fries.  I'm very much into Chinese dishes at the moment.  Ideally, I would like something I can use indoors......in the garage at least.  I'm not connected to the gas mains supply.  Any recommendations?   My knowledge of gas appliances is pretty basic so please don't be to technical.  :-)

I was looking at the following on ebay?   Any good?  Oh damn!  Just notice it's for outdoor use only. :-(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HotWok-Original-Wok-Gas-Burner-Set-HW3711-/271033385833?pt=UK_Home_Garden_BBQ_s_Accessories_LE&hash=item3f1ad94369

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Wok Gas Burner Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I was looking at the following on ebay?   Any good?
I would be careful that you are not paying for the name.  "HotWok" looks like a brand for which you would have to pay a premium; I would try to locate a generic of the same specification.

Caveat lector : I don't actually own one of these devices, although I have considered buying one. When my family (Chinese/Vietnamese) tried to use a similar one at a Vietnamese fair a few years ago they found that theirs was embarrassingly under-powered, so do make sure the one you choose has adequate heat output.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:34 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:59 PM »
http://www.bes.co.uk/product/18~NG~230~230~Type-V6--6-jets-per-burner--Vortex-Cooker-Burners--Natural-Gas-and-LPG-.html.

Ive bought stuff from BES Ltd, good company, good prices and good suppliers for catering etc, they do a vast range of burners so browse there site.

Fishy

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I'm looking for a Wok Gas Burner so that I can create better stir fries.  I'm very much into Chinese dishes at the moment.  Ideally, I would like something I can use indoors......in the garage at least.  I'm not connected to the gas mains supply.  Any recommendations?   My knowledge of gas appliances is pretty basic so please don't be to technical.  :-)

I was looking at the following on ebay?   Any good?  Oh damn!  Just notice it's for outdoor use only. :-(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HotWok-Original-Wok-Gas-Burner-Set-HW3711-/271033385833?pt=UK_Home_Garden_BBQ_s_Accessories_LE&hash=item3f1ad94369

As Phil says, you'll find you're paying well over the odds for brand names in the burner market - only to find that they use generic parts that cost a fraction of the price.

Take a look around this website: http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Tripod_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html

I bought a superb burner from this company for the grand total of

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:02 PM »
I got one of those from ebay, similar price, good burner but the frame that comes with it was powder coated so when cooking the paint burnt off and made a hell of a mess of my pan and curry, the smoke residue was near impossible to remove, utterly horrible.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33 PM »
I got one of those from ebay, similar price, good burner but the frame that comes with it was powder coated so when cooking the paint burnt off and made a hell of a mess of my pan and curry, the smoke residue was near impossible to remove, utterly horrible.

I didn't suffer that problem, Fishy - at least not to that extent. I didn't get any of the acrid smoke you describe, but after a few cooking sessions the coating did start to blister and a few bits of it were sticking to the bottom of my pan, so while it was still warm I scraped most of it off.

Since then we've become inseparable, much to the chagrin of my good lady...

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:49 PM »

Thank you for your replies.  I haven't been on here the last couple of weeks so sorry for my late response.  The one in Salvador's picture looks quite good.  What is the frame made out of?  I would like something reasonable heavy to stir-fry.

Edit to add that I can now see it's caste iron

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:45 PM »
The frame is made from 1mm sheet steel, quite light, the burner is cast which adds the wieght, all in all it does a good job, but do as Salvador done and scrape off the coating on frame because when it burns the residue will get everywhere

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:49 AM »
Do you think I would be able to 'bolt' the frame down to something heavier to give stability?

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 10:10 AM »
Do you think I would be able to 'bolt' the frame down to something heavier to give stability?

I suppose you could fashion some form of bracket to attach to the legs, but you shouldn't really need to, as these things are pretty big and heavy and tend to stay wherever you put them.

I've certainly had no stability issues, and I'd say it's more important to make sure that whatever you intend to put the burner on is stable (your standard folding table isn't really up to it if you like to dance the curry pan fandango, BIR chef style  ;)). 

©2024 Curry Recipes