Author Topic: Suryaa Curry Powder  (Read 9357 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Suryaa Curry Powder
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:49 PM »
Has anyone come across this before?

The Sri Lankan Chef who works at the Uni bought this in over the weekend, it's what they use to make their curries. I made a spice mix today with it and then we made a Garlic Chili Chicken Masala with it. It's a roasted Curry Powder and is wonderful.

The spice mix is as follows

8 parts coriander
7 parts turmeric
5 parts cumin
4 parts (Suryaa Curry powder)
2 tsp Methi Leaves
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Ginger Powder

The Garlic Chili Chicken did not contain Chicken Tikka (As I did not have any prepared today as not needed) so we just used diced chicken breast using the normal recipe I use on here.

I did use the TRS (Madras Hot Curry Powder) for the curry powder input, but what a wonderful flavour this curry powder gives :)

Funnily enough we only made a pan full of this dish as I was showing the other staff how BIR is done on a one to one scale rather than a 30kg pan full, and even the vegetarian chef's amongst us were taking a ladle of the sauce to pour over their vegetables at lunch time. I'll never trust another vegetarian again!!  ;D ;D

If you can get your hands on this stuff give it a go :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Suryaa Curry Powder
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:03 PM »
I shall look for that the next time I am in Ashford (trip to Shanghai cancelled : cat unwell), but can you clarify one thing ?

8 parts coriander
7 parts turmeric
5 parts cumin
I did use the TRS (Madras Hot Curry Powder) for the curry powder input, but what a wonderful flavour this curry powder gives :)

So did you use 4 parts Suryaa Curry powder or 4 parts TRS (Madras Hot Curry Powder), and if the latter, how did you experience the wonderful flavour that the Suryaa Curry powder gives ?

** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:07 PM »
I live in Paris and my local Indian area is around Gare de Nord which is a Tamil community. Every time I go to one of the supermarket this curry powder is stacked to the sky in large jars.

I assume it's being used in the local restaurants too, which although not BIR do good dosai and other south Indian stuff well.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09 PM »
I shall look for that the next time I am in Ashford (trip to Shanghai cancelled : cat unwell), but can you clarify one thing ?

8 parts coriander
7 parts turmeric
5 parts cumin

So did you use 4 parts Suryaa Curry powder or 4 parts TRS (Madras Hot Curry Powder), and if the latter, how did you experience the wonderful flavour that the Suryaa Curry powder gives ?

** Phil.

4 Parts Suryaa Curry powder as the recipe reads above for the spice mix.

The Garlic Chili Chicken recipe calls for 1 tsp curry masala (spice mix) and 1 tsp curry powder (in this case I used TRS Madras Hot Curry powder.

Curry night again on Thursday Phil if you are interested/around.....

This week I am putting on..

Garlic Chili Chicken
Chicken Tikka Chasni
Keema Stuffed Peppers (with Quorn/Soya mince) for the vegetarians
Tarka Dhal
And the usual other stuff, rice, onion bhajis, poppadoms, naan breads, Roti's, Coriander Chutney and all the other raita's/chutney's etc etc..

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:18 PM »
I live in Paris and my local Indian area is around Gare de Nord which is a Tamil community. Every time I go to one of the supermarket this curry powder is stacked to the sky in large jars.

I assume it's being used in the local restaurants too, which although not BIR do good dosai and other south Indian stuff well.

Hi Fried,

Go get some, maybe it is or maybe it is not used in BIR and who is to say that they have visited every BIR restaurant's kitchen's in the country to know any different??.....

I think we sometimes get a little fixed on this forum as to what should be/what shouldn't be used to make a BIR curry...... but to be honest, no one can say for sure 100% what is used in every restaurant.... otherwise every single curry would taste the same from Penzance to John O'Groats, which we know is not true...

Just like every other cuisine in this world, culinary exploratory will be a never ending story :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:28 PM »

The Garlic Chili Chicken recipe calls for 1 tsp curry masala (spice mix) and 1 tsp curry powder (in this case I used TRS Madras Hot Curry powder.
Ah, in that case it can't be UB's recipe, so I must be looking in the wrong place : which Garlic Chili Chicken recipe are you using, Bob ?

Sadly still can't make it, as car died on Sunday in Camberley (clutch bearing failure, new clutch and slave cylinder needed).  Possibly next week, if car repaired or loan car supplied, but Khanh may be coming home from Abu Dhabi for a week, in which case it might not be diplomatic to absent myself for a day !

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42 PM »

Ah, in that case it can't be UB's recipe, so I must be looking in the wrong place : which Garlic Chili Chicken recipe are you using, Bob ?

Sadly still can't make it, as car died on Sunday in Camberley (clutch bearing failure, new clutch and slave cylinder needed).  Possibly next week, if car repaired or loan car supplied, but Khanh may be coming home from Abu Dhabi for a week, in which case it might not be diplomatic to absent myself for a day !

** Phil.

No Phil,

Not UB's wonderful recipe :) but just my take on it...

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8362.0

If you can make it at some stage just give me a few day's notice ;)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:50 PM »

Hi Fried,

Go get some, maybe it is or maybe it is not used in BIR and who is to say that they have visited every BIR restaurant's kitchen's in the country to know any different??.....

I think we sometimes get a little fixed on this forum as to what should be/what shouldn't be used to make a BIR curry...... but to be honest, no one can say for sure 100% what is used in every restaurant.... otherwise every single curry would taste the same from Penzance to John O'Groats, which we know is not true...

Just like every other cuisine in this world, culinary exploratory will be a never ending story :)

I think you might be reading a little more into my post than I intended.

I've seen this stuff for a long time and I have nothing against using it except it's sold in 1kg jars (and I generally prefer to grind and mix my own spices).

I have absolutely no BIR to grind and since I haven't lived in the U.K for the best part of 15 years, have no idea what it actually tastes like. I'll add what I like to whatever dish I like.

I was more interested in the fact that your chef was Sri Lanki and if there was some connection with the use of this curry powder in the Tamil community. A good Dosa is hard to beat. ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Not UB's wonderful recipe :) but just my take on it...
Ah, gotcha : all is now clear.

If you can make it at some stage just give me a few day's notice ;)
You can count on it !
** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:41 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Hi Fried,

I think you might be reading a little more into my post than I intended.

I've seen this stuff for a long time and I have nothing against using it except it's sold in 1kg jars (and I generally prefer to grind and mix my own spices).

I have absolutely no BIR to grind and since I haven't lived in the U.K for the best part of 15 years, have no idea what it actually tastes like. I'll add what I like to whatever dish I like.

I was more interested in the fact that your chef was Sri Lanki and if there was some connection with the use of this curry powder in the Tamil community. A good Dosa is hard to beat. ;)

I'll have to ask him and come back to you :)

©2024 Curry Recipes