Author Topic: Another Curry Night at the Uni...  (Read 9635 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another Curry Night at the Uni...
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22 AM »
looks great food bob well done m8 :-) any chance of the keema stuffed pepper recipe plz mate ty ( ivan )

Hi Ivan,

Here's the link to the recipe. I just substituted meat mince for Linda McCartney's veggie mince :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=7684.0

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:38 AM »
How much do students pay? This is pretty inspiring stuff.

I'm not sure, I've always been to busy to even bother looking at the prices. I'll take a look next Thursday when we do the next one :)

I do know that there are two price tiers though as some students pay a certain amount up front each year which then makes their meals cheaper.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 12:36 PM »
My goodness Bob you are The Curry King!

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:59 AM »
thanks a lot bob must have a go at that sounds yummmmm tc mate :-) ivan

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Awesome post as always Bob and really well done for landing the job in the first place.

I bet the students are thrilled with having someone on the staff who can turn out such quality Indian food as opposed to the good old Brit curry with sultana's.

So when are you going to start offering lessons?  ;)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Brilliant, simply brilliant, looks like your getting the hang of this cooking malarkey. :P

How did the peppers go down i'm certainly going to give your recipe a go, the wife loves these.

What do you think of the Knorr professional tikka masala paste?

I also noticed you mentioned not using base for the dopiza which may imply you used based for the other dishes. I just assumed that you would bulk cook in a traditional way as opposed to BIR, did you really use base?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Just catching up on the events on the site having returned from two weeks in the carribean.  I could have done with some of that mouthwatering looking food there :P. I look forward to the Uni updates as they always make my mouth water.  You just seem to be going from strength to strength Bob.  Long may it continue.  It's a shame that so many people in catering nowadays do not have or have lost the passion that you have :-\

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:55 PM »
Awesome post as always Bob and really well done for landing the job in the first place.

I bet the students are thrilled with having someone on the staff who can turn out such quality Indian food as opposed to the good old Brit curry with sultana's.

So when are you going to start offering lessons?  ;)

Funny, you should say that, (and not being big headed here), and teaching Chef's from Sri Lanka how to cook BIR food in the Kitchens. Don't get me wrong, they cook some mouth watering traditional Indian dishes, which I am learning as well, and will eventually get to post some recipes on here, but they had never heard of base sauce before or hardly any of the curries from a BIR restaurant...  :-\

I got head chef to buy 6kg of Mutton which arrived on Tuesday, which had been marinading in the fridge and as I was late's today got them to slow cook it at 7.30 this morning for 5-6 hours, so it was just falling apart and tonight made a mutton madras, using the juices from the meat, which was amazing.

The other dishes tonight were, 20kg of Chicken Makhani (butter chicken), 3kg Tarka Dhal, a baby aubergine, potato and mushroom veggie curry.

The usual's, rice, popadoms, naans, coriander chutney, cucumber raita, mint yogurt and mango chutney.

I have pics if anyone is interested...

The knorr professional pastes are in fact made by Pataks, so go down really well. I've asked the head chef to get some kashmiri masala paste for next week.

Tonight's Chicken Makhani, was marinated on Tuesday with Knorr professional Tandoori paste, Greek yougurt, lemon juice, G&G and a spice mix. I pre-cooked the chicken in the ovens while making the sauce, then drop the chicken in about 15-20 minutes before serving so it stays succulent and doesn't dry out. However, it does sit there from 5 -7.30, so am thinking from now on to include 2 trays of chicken for the first serving, then cooking the other 2 trays a little later on.

The only trouble with that is that you cannot predict the students movements, and if you get a rush, they may be waiting around while the chicken cooks.... a dilemma......

The passion is there, and I want to do more, but it is on a large scale therefore can only be refined to a degree....

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Brilliant, simply brilliant, looks like your getting the hang of this cooking malarkey. :P

How did the peppers go down i'm certainly going to give your recipe a go, the wife loves these.

What do you think of the Knorr professional tikka masala paste?

I also noticed you mentioned not using base for the dopiza which may imply you used based for the other dishes. I just assumed that you would bulk cook in a traditional way as opposed to BIR, did you really use base?

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, we make base for all the currie's and even have the Sri Lankan chef's trying it out on their traditional curries now too, which they are loving..

I usually make a 5kg (chopped Onion) Taz base, which amounts to about 10kg of liquid base which we have got to an art now. My only bug bear is that the, "whizzer" we use does not blend to a really smooth base and we have nothing else at present which will take it further, so the base is a little grainy, but the flavour is there...

I let one of the other Sri Lankan chefs make the Dopiaza, which was a basic BIR dish but he used curry leaves and did it his way with water, which turned out really nice for a traditional curry, but was not anywhere near a BIR curry.

As mentioned previously, the Knorr professional pastes are made by Patak's and are very nice :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 04:12 PM »
Hi Bob,

Interesting comments regarding the Sri Lankan chefs loving the base, I guess its something new to add dimension to what they already know. I am certainly looking forward to seeing some of their traditional recipes.

Clearly you are passionate about this, I have enjoyed reading your topics as you progress. I think the thing that I admire most is that your producing the food in bulk. You seem to be coping with it very well. Perhaps you could ask the head chef to buy a Tandoor ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes