Author Topic: Hi from Guatemala.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline zephyr

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Hi from Guatemala.
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:51 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Chris and I have been trying to make Curry (as I know it) in Guatemala for 4 years.

I am originally from the U.K. and have grown up with Curry being one of the family favorites, but I have not found curry here in Guate. So I decided it was time to learn how to make it. I stumbled upon the Natco site via a search engine, typing "secrets british indian restaurant takeaway" and have been making the base sauce from their website, well, their curry recipes actually for the last 4 years, in which time I opened a hostal for backpackers.

The hostal has a restaurant and I have been serving curry as well as many other western food options. I get compliments on the curry so it is not that awful, and I personally think it is pretty good vs the choice of no curry. We have been discussing the possibility a Curry buffet night for our guests here, Estimated at 60, so I started looking at the recipes on the Natco site again and came across the link to cr0 and 9 pages later and I am a member, with a spinning head.

I came online today with the idea of finding some recipes for Bhajia and Samosas and now it looks like I am going back to the drawing board on the whole base sauce, and my spice mix, and my garam masala...........

So that's me, Hi, I look forward to learning from you all.

Regards,
Chris.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Guatemala.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Chris,

fascinating introduction - loved it.

well worth taking stock on the drawing board. the information on this site will produce fantastic results. most is aimed at single portion mains cooking and recipes will need scaling for big pot serving.

for bhajis Axe's are the place to start, link http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4443.0

very best wishes,

ps i think my head spun for about 3 months when i joined

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Welcome to cr0 Chris  :)

Good luck with your venture ... it'll soon change from hostel to restaurant once you start knocking up the recipes from here   ;)

Agree with Jerry ... Axe's bhajis are great as are Cory Ander's ... you'll be pleased with either  ;)

Offline zephyr

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I tried to make some Besan yesterday but I think I toasted the chickpeas for too long in my wood oven, the Bhajis I made were very dark and burnt tasting  ::) Going into town in a minute to find a hand mill too as the food processor I was using was screaming at me to stop.

30 minutes away from take 2.

Chris.

©2024 Curry Recipes