Author Topic: How much salt!!!!! ? Undercover curry?  (Read 7606 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How much salt!!!!! ? Undercover curry?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53 AM »
i only add the same amount of base for every main dish ie 300 ml

felt it worth clarifying what i do: i do use the exact same amount of base per portion ie 300ml.

some dishes particularly coconut flour or high spice volume need more liquid to cook out even with a thin base. for these dishes i add 100ml of water to the 300ml of base. the idea of using water came from admins jalfrezi http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2664.0.html

Offline skronk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I don't use any.

Someone here will tell you that you need salt in curry and that it bring out the flavour. It doesn't it just makes it taste salty ;)

Have to disagree there.

Salt is really necessary.

A bit like comparing fresh lager to flat lager to me......though I respect your opinion.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 02:23 PM »
I don't use any.  Someone here will tell you that you need salt in curry and that it bring out the flavour. It doesn't it just makes it taste salty ;)
Have to disagree there.  Salt is really necessary.  A bit like comparing fresh lager to flat lager to me......though I respect your opinion.
I agree : see my response to CA in another thread.
** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 03:13 PM »
It's difficult to cook most types of food without salt. It just ends up tasting bland otherwise. However each to their own. Over salting can be a problem though and one that is difficult, if not impossible to recover from. I have to watch when I am cooking individual curries because I can get a bit too carried away with the salt, especially if I'm just chucking it in rather than measuring it.

For a Taz base using 1kg of onions and making about 3 litres (e.g roughly 8 curries as the Taz method uses 400ml per curry) I use 2/3 tbsp. salt. for the whole base.  This works out at 10ml which divided by 8 equals 1.25 ml per portion or roughly a 1/4 tsp.

I've created quite a few Taz recipes now and I notice that I tend to be adding a 1/4 tsp per curry.

Overall I'm not sure if that is a large amount of salt or not, but it certainly tastes balanced and I wouldn't be wanting to add any more, though maybe I could get away with less if I tried.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 05:32 PM »
I'll add to my flippant comment above.

I've always disliked the taste of salt in most things, pasta and vegetables for example. Although for some reason I always put it on chips and roast potatoes. Noone has ever complained of my food being bland, I use copious amounts of garlic, onion, fresh herbs, spices.

As mentioned before my missus had a medical condition where she couldn't eat salt for a whole year. This means no prepared sauces, soya sauce, fish sauce, bread, cheese, smoked meats......This was a lot more difficult for her than for me (I did use to catch her somtimes sneaking a pince of salt into the pasta I was cooking!)

I believe salt has a lot to do with personal taste and I often find BIR curry to salty. If you like salt then add it to your curry.

I do however add a bit to my base sauce (1/2 tsp per litre max) although this is usually lo-salt. I also add a pinch when cooking although if I'm using jarred garlic/ ginger and cooking with tikka (salt in paste) I don't always bother. I was always led to believe that a bit of salt was needed to counteract the chilli. I've cooked for many people who love their salt and noone as far as I recall have ever chosen to add extra salt to the dish.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 07:26 PM »
fried I'm like you in that I never add salt to vegetables though funnily enough my exception is also chips and roast potatoes. With your base it's sounds like you're similar to me with the amount you add to your base.

©2024 Curry Recipes