Author Topic: Can I FreezeFresh Coriander?  (Read 3337 times)

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
Can I FreezeFresh Coriander?
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:18 AM »
I am going to go today to buy fresh Coriander the bunches of coriander are much to big for what i use, so i was thinking can i freeze it. I know fresh Mint if you bag it and freeze it it dries brittle and can be crushed to small pieces, but has anyone done this with coriander.

Another question when growing coriander i saw a gardening program that said you can grow Coriander in a piece of rainwater guttering has anyone done this?

Thank you guys Great site its my indian Cooking Bible, why do people call it Indian Cooking when the majority of "Indian" restaurants, takeaways are Bangladeshi.   ;D Oops thats 3 questions.

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Can I FreezeFresh Coriander?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:54 AM »
hi balloo mate yes i freeze it regularly not much good for using in a salad but works well to had to a  curry , you could also try chopping it mixing it with butter or ghee making it in to a roll kinda shape store in the fridge or freezer and cut of peaces as you need it :-) ( Ivan )

Offline podmore

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Not that i'v tried it myself, but i do remember "Nigella" using an ice cube tray, she chopped the herbs in question and put them in each ice cube mould then topped them up with water, this way you can take as many or as little of the cryogenically suspended buggers as you need.
Obviously they wont be any use as a garnish but for cooking with it sounds ok

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:00 AM »
I always freeze bunched coriander in a plastic freezer bag

When making a curry I simply take it out the freezer and chop it with a pair of scissors

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:41 AM »

When making a curry I simply take it out the freezer and chop it with a pair of scissors

Me too, snip it from the bag straight into the hot pan while cooking otherwise if left out to defrost first it turns to dark green mush, tastes fine but awkward to handle especially with warm hands!

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57 AM »

Same here. I just freeze the whole bunch, and when needed you don't even need to chop it up, as it breaks up easily with a scrunch of the bag. Grab a handful and chuck it in your curry a minute before serving. Lovely...

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:54 PM »
The only trivial issue I have found is it's a tad difficult to differentiate between the stalks and leafs when its in it's frozen state.
No problem, just snip the top, The stalks reserved for a base!

Offline balloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58 PM »
Thank you all  Cant help you much for cooking yet, but if anyone wants to know how to mess up a computer good and proper i am your guy, ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes