Author Topic: Mutton Karahi!  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Mutton Karahi!
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:47 AM »
My apologies if this has been on here before...
I should imagine many of you would have seen this, and maybe someone here actually posted it to youtube. But for those who have not it's worth a look.
Talk about grass roots street market cooking! The only flames I can recall seeing in a market when I was a kid was the roasted chestnut man doing his business, I think health and safety would have a few words to say about this.  :o

I would like to try this at some point with half the ingredients for the size of my pressure cooker. I don't know what is meant by old sliced ginger but hopefully ordinary will do, and as for sour yogurt, the comments seem to say ordinary is ok.
Edit: Without trying to open a can of worms this is one of the comments...
"Why? do you call it KARAHI, its Bhunna Gosht, looks tasty"

Mutton Karahi by Fazal E Haq
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:20 PM by Tommy Timebomb »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mutton Karahi!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 12:46 PM »
I have that very same clip in my YouTube favourites! I came across it (funnily enough) while searching for a decent karahi recipe, and while there seem to be as many variations on the karahi theme as there are cooks, this looks to be about as authentic as you can get.

To my annoyance I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so very soon. I'll report back as soon as I do.

(Re the 'old ginger', it's the gnarly, knobbly thick-skinned ginger we all know and love and find in our supermarkets. Young ginger has a much thinner skin and is much more tender, less fibrous, and a little sweeter. )

©2024 Curry Recipes