Author Topic: Chicken Punjabi Masala with Taz Base  (Read 33789 times)

littlechili

Re: Chicken Punjabi Masala with Taz Base
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Chicken Punjabi Masala. SL.

I revisited this little Jem and it didn

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 08:05 PM »
It was a spur of the moment decision to make the curry and I really fancied chicken tikka with it, but didn't have any to hand. I did a quick'n'dirty 'Hot and Spicy Chicken Tikka' from Barnali's Kitchen and it worked very well with Stephen's recipe. I can also highly recommend the other two tikka recipes shown in the link.

I missed this but I agree Naga. I made this tri-colour Tikka a while back and really enjoyed it.

Stephen's recipe is having some positive reviews. I may need to give it a go. Interesting to see that it has been made with different bases. I wonder how significant it is to the finished dish.

LC, you've raised another good point about differently branded Masala. I can obtain neither which makes it tricky to take your advice. It raises a question I'll ask on the "shopping" thread.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Guys

With reference to Tandoori Masala I never buy off the shelf mixes. I've always made my own. This is the recipe I use, and it is based on a Pat Chapman recipe. I use it in my Tikka marinade too. Forum veterans will know that PC gets mixed press on here but I have found this recipe perfect and have never felt the need to change.

PS the PJM should be RED so don't skimp on the colouring!

coriander - 8 parts (by volume)
garlic powder - 8 parts
paprika - 8 parts
cumin- 6 parts
ginger powder - 4 parts
mango powder - 4 parts
dried mint - 4 parts
chilli powder - 2 parts
red food colouring - to choice

littlechili

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09 PM »
Guys

With reference to Tandoori Masala I never buy off the shelf mixes. I've always made my own. This is the recipe I use, and it is based on a Pat Chapman recipe. I use it in my Tikka marinade too. Forum veterans will know that PC gets mixed press on here but I have found this recipe perfect and have never felt the need to change.

PS the PJM should be RED so don't skimp on the colouring!

coriander - 8 parts (by volume)
garlic powder - 8 parts
paprika - 8 parts
cumin- 6 parts
ginger powder - 4 parts
mango powder - 4 parts
dried mint - 4 parts
chilli powder - 2 parts
red food colouring - to choice

Thanks for the recipe Sl I may try this mix when I

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 09:04 AM »
Thanks for the recipe Sl I may try this mix when I

littlechili

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 01:01 PM »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 04:08 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 08:28 PM »
This thread could be veering into one regarding the relationship between how food looks and how it tastes. As far as I understand from psychological studies on food and eating, how something looks is vital to our perception of taste, and when something doesn't look like the way we expect it to, it tastes different. That is why supermarket and restaurant food has such an emphasis on how a product looks (as well as the profit motive of course). The better it looks, the better it tastes, and the more likely we will go back for more.

Now, this may have little or no bearing on the Punjabi Masala. If it is red, or orange, or brown I suspect it will make little or no difference to the taste, especially if you are used to not colouring your curries. However, if you are into faithfully replicating BIR then colouring is part of the deal.

Notwithstanding this, which is my own personal viewpoint, I think you have both made valid points.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 08:57 PM »
I can't come at green bread, sausages or BEER on St Paddies day!!.  ;D  The first time I had a Blue Heaven Milkshake I just felt wrong as the flavouring syrup was the colour of blue kerosene.

Blindfolded taste tests are interesting. Often a person will recognize familiarity with a flavour but be unable to immediately say what it is or even get it wrong. 

Really bright red curries , like this recipe pose a dilemma, because red is the colour associated with heat.  Often bright red curries are not particularly hot.  My wife has told me that in Sri Lanka the heat of a curry was assessed by it's darkness instead. Light coloured creamy curries were mild, whereas, the darker brown tending towards black were extremely potent and to be avoided.  These were the host father's curries only and nobody else could eat them.

littlechili

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 09:12 PM »
This thread could be veering into one regarding the relationship between how food looks and how it tastes. As far as I understand from psychological studies on food and eating, how something looks is vital to our perception of taste, and when something doesn't look like the way we expect it to, it tastes different. That is why supermarket and restaurant food has such an emphasis on how a product looks (as well as the profit motive of course). The better it looks, the better it tastes, and the more likely we will go back for more.

Now, this may have little or no bearing on the Punjabi Masala. If it is red, or orange, or brown I suspect it will make little or no difference to the taste, especially if you are used to not colouring your curries. However, if you are into faithfully replicating BIR then colouring is part of the deal.

Notwithstanding this, which is my own personal viewpoint, I think you have both made valid points.

A very fair point Sl, from a Bir emulation position I totally see your point, and if I wanted to make an impact for guests who would benefit from the visual apearence I would add red for its characteristic effects .

Phil, sorry chap but that
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:31 PM by littlechili »

©2024 Curry Recipes