Author Topic: Reheating frozen pilau  (Read 22972 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Reheating frozen pilau
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 12:32 PM »
You should cool the rice as fast as possible. At the very least get it straight into the fridge.

I try and avoid frozen rice now. I do have some frozen as a back up and have found this is better microwaved from frozen rather than defrost first. Frozen rice though is simply not as good when reheated so where possible I now make fresh the day I want it or day before and either use immediatley or fast cool and micro later. Much better.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 01:39 PM »
You should cool the rice as fast as possible. At the very least get it straight into the fridge.

I do think, with the greatest respect, that that is a little OTT.  I have /never/ force-chilled rice, yet normally cook enough for two or three days.  All stays in a Pyrex casserole until the meal is over (lid on), and is then left to chill naturally in the kitchen.  When it is completely cold it is transferred to 600ml plastic takeaway containers (with lids) and transferred to the 'fridge. And my wife and I have never had food poisoning as a result.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:03 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 02:58 PM »

I do think, with the greatest respect, that that is a little OTT.  I have /never/ force-chilled rice, yet normally cook enough for two or three days.  All stays in a Pyrex casserole until the meal is over (lid on), and is then left to chill naturally in the kitchen.  When it is completely cold it is transferred to 600ml plastic takeaway containers (with lids) and transferred to the 'fridge. And my wife and I have never had food poisoning as a result.

** Phil.

' with the greatest respect ' what an awful and generally patrionising expression albeit no offence taken or I believe, intended.

Just makes sense to get the rice chilled quickly. The quicker the better and less opportunity for nasties to multiple.  '. Simples ' - another annoying expression perhaps.m :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 03:30 PM »
'with the greatest respect ' what an awful and generally patronising expression albeit no offence taken or I believe, intended.

Certainly none intended, RD, and I am delighted that none taken.  I simply wanted to disagree in the politest possible way, and without causing offence and thereby risking starting an argument.

Just makes sense to get the rice chilled quickly. The quicker the better and less opportunity for nasties to multiply.

But with a domestic refrigator, which does not have a great deal of thermal inertia, the effect of introducing a large quantity of freshly-cooked rice can have exactly the opposite effect, in that it can raise the internal temperature of the 'fridge to a point where bacteria /can/ multiply, and if that 'fridge contains shellfish, fish or even meat, then the risk arising from bacterial multiplication on those foodstuffs is many many times the risk resulting from waiting for the rice to fully cool before refrigerating it (IMHO, of course).

'Simples ' - another annoying expression perhaps.m :)

Strongly agree, although I have personally found the recent usages of (moderated) infinitely more offensive.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:13 PM by George »

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Hahha. Good job I have two dedicated curry fridge freezers in garage.. You are quite right though on the effect of the rice raising the fridge temp etc.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Just get some liquid nitrogen  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes