Author Topic: Reheating frozen pilau  (Read 22959 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Reheating frozen pilau
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Yes, microwave straight from frozen for 3 mins in my 800W microwave, this based on a "standard" 550ml takeaway sized plastic tray.

Well we are still alive but - 3 mins on full in 800+kw only thawed it out. It needed another 3 mins to get it piping and steaming. Tasted good though and kept right shape etc.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Got to dig up this old thread. We have been freezing pilau for some time now but I am becoming more and more unhappy with the reheated result. It seems to me that the grains are shrinking and the end result is a more dried and bitty grain that has lost some of its original plumpness after first cooking. Does that make sense.

I have been thawing individual portions from the freezer during the day prior to reheating , 3 mins or so, until piping hot in microwave at full power.

I am wondering if I would get better reheated results by either microwaving straight from frozen or reducing the power of the micro and reheating for longer. Something is definitely not right and the end reult is not the same as after the original cook.

Views / suggestions.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 08:25 PM »
I freeze pilau into plastic takeaway tubs (into what is probably a large individual portion) then reheat straight from frozen with a 2 min blast at fill power, then a rest of a couple of mins, then either 30 secs or a min at full blast depending how full the portion seems. Comes out great

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I freeze pilau into plastic takeaway tubs (into what is probably a large individual portion) then reheat straight from frozen with a 2 min blast at fill power, then a rest of a couple of mins, then either 30 secs or a min at full blast depending how full the portion seems. Comes out great

Yes I am wondering if the thawing is causing this and that it would be better as you describe. Will give it a try but then need to scale up to do 3 or 4 portions in one go.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01 PM »

+1

I do 3 minutes too (2 + 1) for my frozen double portions in plastic containers and it works just fine. :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Got to dig up this old thread. We have been freezing pilau for some time now but I am becoming more and more unhappy with the reheated result. It seems to me that the grains are shrinking and the end result is a more dried and bitty grain that has lost some of its original plumpness after first cooking. Does that make sense.

The other thing to consider ruby is how long the rice has been frozen for and is the container airtight? A plastic ice cream carton (not airtight) and a long storage in the freezer might be a recipe for the dried out grains of rice you describe.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 07:53 AM »

The other thing to consider ruby is how long the rice has been frozen for and is the container airtight? A plastic ice cream carton (not airtight) and a long storage in the freezer might be a recipe for the dried out grains of rice you describe.

Never in there for more than 3 or 4 weeks but I do use the one largish portion plastic take away containers which I do not think are airtight. The rice does get a thin later of ice on the top which adds moisture when thawed out. The grains lookmfine when thawed. It is after microwavingbthe issue arises.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I have never found freezing and then re-hearing pulao rice to be really satisfactory :  in my experience the retained moisture in the cooked rice grains expands during the freeze/thaw cycle and causes the grains to crack aross their width.  So for me, pulao rice must either be eaten fresh, or re-heated from chilled; if I re-heat from chilled, I add about two teaspoons of water to compensate for storage losses.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04 PM »
I have never found freezing and then re-hearing pulao rice to be really satisfactory :  in my experience the retained moisture in the cooked rice grains expands during the freeze/thaw cycle and causes the grains to crack aross their width.  So for me, pulao rice must either be eaten fresh, or re-heated from chilled; if I re-heat from chilled, I add about two teaspoons of water to compensate for storage losses.

** Phil.

I am starting to think likewise Phil.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I've never bothered freezing rice, I just dont make enough to freeze, maybe 4 portions maximum and they can keep in the fridge until i reheat.
I wonder if you're reheating for too long a time Ruby?
Rice reheated for longer than necessary by any method will shrink the grains.
A few things you could try is vacuum sealing or even under cooking the rice to say, 80% and freeze that?
Or perhaps reheat in the microwave on a lower setting?

Cheers, Frank.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes