Author Topic: Reheating frozen pilau  (Read 22971 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Reheating frozen pilau
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I add about two teaspoons of water to compensate for storage losses.

What difference does this make to the rice taste/texture? Also, I suppose the 2 tsps are per individual portion? 

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33 PM »
I've never bothered freezing rice, I just dont make enough to freeze, maybe 4 portions maximum and they can keep in the fridge until i reheat.
I wonder if you're reheating for too long a time Ruby?
Rice reheated for longer than necessary by any method will shrink the grains.
A few things you could try is vacuum sealing or even under cooking the rice to say, 80% and freeze that?
Or perhaps reheat in the microwave on a lower setting?

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Mmmm. Not sure the under cooking is a good plan. Did consider and will try the lower power. Have already tried variations on cooking times at full power.

I normally do 10 good portions , 1kg, rice at a time. Normally use three of those for 4 peeps at a Saturday night sitting. It may come to just pre-cooking saturday morning or Friday in future and doing less. One thing is for sure, the rice is far better when allowed to chill after cooking.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 12:44 PM »
What difference does this make to the rice taste/texture? Also, I suppose the 2 tsps are per individual portion?

Not really per individual portion : more per 500 or 650ml storage container (enough for at least two, probably more).  The difference it makes is one of texture : without, the rice is noticeably firner/harder than it would have been fresh; with the addition of two teaspoons of water, it regains its former texture and is (almost) indistinguishable from fresh.

** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46 PM »
One thing is for sure, the rice is far better when allowed to chill after cooking.

I would not expect it to be so if you are cooking using the evaporation (lossless) method.  Do you use this, or do you cook your rice in an excess of water which you then jettison ?

** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50 PM »
RD
Very rarely freeze rice these days, but never had a problem if I left it for a good 24hrs before freezing
and I'd heat from frozen.
cheers Chewy

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Thanks all. I think i will go for the heat straight from frozen option first. I really want to continue doing it in bulk if possible as life is so much easier on 'curry day'.

CT, any reasoning behind leaving for 24 hours before freezing? I always make sure it is cold, infact chilled before freezing but it does not take 24 .

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I've only ever eat reheated frozen pilau rice so I have nothing to compare it too.

I plannning on making a new batch tomorrow morning and reheating from chilled for a comparison.

I seem to remember a post stating that you shouldn't keep cooked rice in the fridge for too long, although I can't find the thread.

Grateful for advice please.

I'll be freezing the unused portions regardless.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 08:12 PM »
I've only ever eat reheated frozen pilau rice so I have nothing to compare it too.

I plannning on making a new batch tomorrow morning and reheating from chilled for a comparison.

I seem to remember a post stating that you shouldn't keep cooked rice in the fridge for too long, although I can't find the thread.

Grateful for advice please.

I'll be freezing the unused portions regardless.
I regularly have rice in the fridge for up to four days.  I have been doing this ever since i got in to making curry.  I have never suffered any ill effects from the practice.  I'm sure some will be horrified  :o - what about all them bugs that'll be multiplying.  One or two others will say "only four days"  ;D  Personal choice on this one ;)

Offline stryker_uk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 09:17 AM »
What is the best way of cooling / chilling before freezing, I'd like to make a batch tonight, eat some then freeze the rest to try it out

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 10:59 AM »
What is the best way of cooling / chilling before freezing, I'd like to make a batch tonight, eat some then freeze the rest to try it out
I would cook it in advance.  Leave it standing till cool then fork it through so the grains are well and trully separated. Fridge what you need for tonight and portion up and freeze the rest.  Two mins 30 secs full power in the micro, nice bug free rice with no after affects

©2024 Curry Recipes