Author Topic: Eureka moment?  (Read 5779 times)

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Eureka moment?
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:11 AM »
At this moment I am experimenting with a new curry gravy base.

I have just realised that the side veg curry dish served with a biryani in a BIR is actually the curry base before it is blended.

Am I right?

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Eureka moment?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:11 PM »
not that I have ever had.  It tends to be a standard veg curry.

regards

barry

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:52 PM »
not that I have ever had.  It tends to be a standard veg curry.

regards

barry

The biryani veg curry contains onions, green pepper, potato, carrot, cabbage... which is a cooked base gravy before it has been blended...

I doubt that BIR bother to boil cabbage etc. separately to make a veg curry. It is logical that they would instead just use a ladle of the unblended base gravy.

I have just eaten a biryani based upon my theory and finally after many years of trying I actually nailed that BIR taste.

I made the base gravy with onions, potato, carrot, and white cabbage. I used a ladle of it to make a veg curry before the base was blended. It works!

I have taken a few photos here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8980.0
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:33 AM by tommy99 »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 02:39 PM »
I'm not sure I follow you t99.

The veg curry that comes with a Biryani has whole veg in it, it's not blended down base style.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:47 PM »
I've never had a biryani with a vegetable curry that tasted like any base sauce I've ever made.

Base sauces taste quite bland, the vegetable currys supplied with the biryanis I've had have been nice and spicy.

Paul

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:55 PM »

The veg curry that comes with a Biryani has whole veg in it, it's not blended down base style.

Yes, that is what I am saying. To make the veg curry they must use a ladle of the base gravy BEFORE it has been blended.

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 04:04 PM »
I've never had a biryani with a vegetable curry that tasted like any base sauce I've ever made.

Base sauces taste quite bland, the vegetable currys supplied with the biryanis I've had have been nice and spicy.

Paul

Fry some spices, chilli, tomato puree, ginger and garlic paste in a pan with oil from the top of the unblended gravy. Then take a ladle of the unblended gravy and add it to your fry pan. It works!

It makes sense that a BIR would do this rather than boil up pans of veg.

Have a look here at my results:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8980.0

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 04:48 PM »
In all honesty I'm more a chapatti/naan man so don't go for rice dishes, so have never experienced the veg curry that accompanies a biryani, but for what it's worth I've never seen any of the BIR chefs in my locality prepare their veg curries like that. Like the meat the veg is pre-cooked (some places from frozen) and added to the pan in the same way.

But maybe some places have a huge pot of base with veggies in it, just for this very purpose?

I guess it's just different ways of achieving the same end result. As long as it tastes good!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:00 PM »

Yes, that is what I am saying. To make the veg curry they must use a ladle of the base gravy BEFORE it has been blended.

It's definitely not a ladle of unblended base sauce because the veg mix is wrong for a base. In a Biryani veg curry there can be potatoes, cauliflower, green beans and other things you wouldn't really find in most base sauces.

I suppose it's quite possible, as SD suggested, that there may be a pot of veggies cooked base-style specifically for this, but usually all vegetables are pre-cooked ready to ladle into whatever sauce as appropriate.

Offline tommy99

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:01 PM »

It's definitely not a ladle of unblended base sauce because the veg mix is wrong for a base. In a Biryani veg curry there can be potatoes, cauliflower, green beans and other things you wouldn't really find in most base sauces.

In the biryani side veg curry there is usually onion, green pepper, white cabbage, carrot, and potato. Those things are often in lots of other gravy recipes too.

Green beans and cauliflower are usually in the biryani rice so those are likely to be pre-cooked veg (and so not in the gravy).

If you wanted a standard veg curry with plain boiled rice then use a ladle of the unblended gravy and add pre-cooked cauliflower and peas and green beans.

©2024 Curry Recipes