Author Topic: zaal base  (Read 5158 times)

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
zaal base
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Thanks to the guys for there efforts on this one, tried it last night still doesnt taste like a bir, at the end of the video it shows some stock being added from another pot to the final base,Akhni stock , if you look at the video carfully it doesnt look like just a few spices in water, it looks like its full of something else, i.e meat stock or whatever it maybe.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: zaal base
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Thanks to the guys for there efforts on this one, tried it last night still doesnt taste like a bir, at the end of the video it shows some stock being added from another pot to the final base,Akhni stock , if you look at the video carfully it doesnt look like just a few spices in water, it looks like its full of something else, i.e meat stock or whatever it maybe.
Just to clarify, as I happened to be one of the attendees, the saucepan contents were water, green cardamons, cassia bark and Asian bay leaves  - NOTHING ELSE.
As for the base not being BIR, it is as good as the best on here and better than many IMHO.  But you obviously rate your own very highly.
I have read your base thread and to be honest, there's nothing new or different about it.  It has similarities in ingredients, spicing levels and method to others already discussed on the forum, many of which i've made.  However, it does contain something which has pricked my interest of late; the inclusion of whole spice.  This, coupled with Moonster's endorsement means i'll have to make it and use it for my easy madras recipe.  If it makes as good a madras as i ended up with in the week i'll be happy.  If it delivers more, i'll be one step closer to curry heaven.  My report will follow in due course on the base and the madras.  Anybody else care to try this one out?
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5346.10

Regards

G0MSQ

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 11:53 AM »
G0MSQ

G /zero/ MSQ ?  I was once G3TGQ, but I was unaware that G0 call signs were ever issued; when were they introduced ?
** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Late 80's Phil.  Haven't warmed up my valves for a long while now :-\

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Late 80's Phil.  Haven't warmed up my valves for a long while now :-\
You mean you don't have a pair of QY3-125's sitting inside a replica log burner ?  How do you keep your house warm in winter ?!

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 01:06 PM »
So why are you not using radio no more phil. i got my callsign just before curryhell.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Just to clarify, as I happened to be one of the attendees, the saucepan contents were water, green cardamons, cassia bark and Asian bay leaves  - NOTHING ELSE.
As for the base not being BIR, it is as good as the best on here and better than many IMHO.  But you obviously rate your own very highly.
I have read your base thread and to be honest, there's nothing new or different about it.  It has similarities in ingredients, spicing levels and method to others already discussed on the forum, many of which i've made.  However, it does contain something which has pricked my interest of late; the inclusion of whole spice.  This, coupled with Moonster's endorsement means i'll have to make it and use it for my easy madras recipe.  If it makes as good a madras as i ended up with in the week i'll be happy.  If it delivers more, i'll be one step closer to curry heaven.  My report will follow in due course on the base and the madras.  Anybody else care to try this one out?
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5346.10

Regards

G0MSQ

Have to agree with curryhell here. The Zaal base - as with many other bases on this site -  is the real deal, and I'd respectfully suggest that anyone who isn't achieving good results with it needs to look to other stages of the process and/or technique, and work on refining/perfecting those.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:33 PM »
So why are you not using radio no more phil. i got my callsign just before curryhell.

Well, this is totally OT, but it may amuse some : I got my licence at the age of 16 (that would be 1963), and joined the local Amateur Radio Society -- it had better remain namless, but it was in the vicinity of the Cray Valley ....  I went along to meetings regularly, but over the course of six months or so discovered that the sole topic of conversation, and apparently the sole topic of interest, was amateur radio.  And the more meetings I attended, the more boring I began to find the conversation.  So, wanting to "get a life" as the modern idiom goes, I decided to quit, and I can't say I have ever looked back.  I love my hobbies one and all (cycling, gardening, equestrianism, food and wine, curries, satellite television, computer typesetting, Greek palaeography, web programming, ...) but I don't want any one of them to take over my life to the exclusion of all else. But that was what seemed to happen to the members of **RS : just one interest, nothing outside, and (with a few notable exceptions), definitely not the sort of people you could invite to dinner (unless all the other guests were hams as well) !

** Phil.

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:16 PM »
LOL phil. no im not a member either of the ++gb. well i agree you can be sat on your backside for ever with that hobby, must admit i do only keep the radio side of thing for winter, other than that its about getting out and enjoying things.
steve.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Hi chaps, please bear in mind this section of the forum is specifically for posting recipes for curry base sauce, not for discussion threads about base sauce. There is a forum section for discussions about base sauce recipes, it is here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=82.0

Keeping threads separated like this helps us all find stuff more easily in the future. Thanks very much.

©2024 Curry Recipes