Author Topic: new base  (Read 3072 times)

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
new base
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Tried the new base last night, pretty good, i did add a little tom puree to take a bit of sweetness off,

Ingrediants:

4 medium onoins
5 large carrots peeled and chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped
1" peice of fresh ginger chopped
3 tbls of chopped corriander(roots)
1/4 pint of cooking oil
water

Spices:

1 tsp ground corriander
2 tsp paprika powder
2 tsp tom puree
1 tbls kashmiri chicken masala powder.

Method:

Add oil to pan, add chopped onoins and gently fry until transparent,
add chopped garlic/ginger cook for 5 mins,
add kashmiri masala/ tom puree/ground corriander and paprika, stir for 1 min on very low heat
add chopped carrots and fresh corriander and water just to cover,simmer for an hour until soft.
once cooked blend to a puree and resimmer until oil is visible on the surface, you will notice a change in colour and taste as the garlic cooks out it gets sweeter. i think this is the case that most bases when pureed need  more cooking time to get that taste, this is why most bases ive heard about taste bland.
got to say the base was very nice.
have a go see what you think!.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: new base
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:12 PM »
Steve, could you please clarify exactly what you mean by "kashmiri chicken masala powder" ?
** Phil.

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23 PM »
mangal chicken masala mix, sold in all asian supermarkets, you can google it and look at images, DO NOT BUY SHAN MASALA'S, they are not very good.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Thank you, Steve : clarification much appreciated.
** Phil.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:53 PM »
mangal chicken masala mix, sold in all asian supermarkets, you can google it and look at images, DO NOT BUY SHAN MASALA'S, they are not very good.

I just wondered why you don't rate Shan, Steve. For me it's the salt content, which is often number one or two in the ingredients list. I'm a salt lover, but even I find it too much. (Not over keen on artificial food colouring, either.)

They're not the only company guilty of piling the salt in. Laziza mixes are pretty salty, too.

Here's what goes into three readily available Chicken Masala/Curry mixes:

MANGAL
Turmeric, Cardamom, Roasted Cloves, Coriander, Cumin, Chillies, Black Pepper, Mace, Salt.

SHAN
Red Chilli, Salt, Papain, Turmeric, Star Aniseed, Coriander, Cinnamon, Cumin, Brown Cardamom, Carom, Black Pepper, Mace, Fenugreek Seed, Bay Leaf, Clove, Green Cardamom, Ginger, Citric Acid (E330), Garlic, Natural And Artificial Food Colours, Screw Pine.

LAZIZA
red chilli, coriander, salt, black pepper, cumin seeds, dried garlic, dried ginger, caraway seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek leaves, culebs, food colours Yellow E102 Yellow E110 (FD&C Yellow 5, Yellow 6) 

Personally, I prefer to make my own mixes, but if I was going for one of the above I know which one it would be...

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:53 PM »
I find shan powders leave my mouth very dry, like ive just eaton a pack of talcum powder.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:43 PM »
I find shan powders leave my mouth very dry, like ive just eaton a pack of talcum powder.

Thanks Steve. I'd hazard a guess that the salt could well be to blame for that then....

©2024 Curry Recipes