Author Topic: Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation  (Read 30853 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 01:34 PM »
The chef in Vid 2 (the 7min curry job) Say's that he never uses a gravy pot, and all his dishes are done fresh, So is he implying that all his dishes are made the same way as his mother used to  make them?? everything thrown into the wok first, Except the spices of course.

Les

Almost certainly not. They use those Chinese cookers that sound and look like an afterburner of a Mig jet! With that amount of heat you can easily cook from scratch in minutes.

I tried a curry with the throw-it-all-in method and it produced what I expected a thin, 'Pakistani' type curry. It was perfectly edible and quite pleasant but was watery due to the onions not being pureed (I chopped them finely).

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 01:41 PM »
...you can easily cook from scratch in minutes....

I prefer chicken... :)

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 01:54 PM »
George, will you please copy and paste the above 3 lines (as is) to the first post, then delete this post. Thanks.

I've now transferred the links to episodes 3-5 as you requested.

To anyone looking for them, find them at the first post on this thread (page 1).

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Thanks for the other uploads, too. This is a nice series.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Episodes 6-9 now available.  (8 and 9 are still converting. will be done in 30 mins or so)

Ep6  https://vimeo.com/53674532

Ep7  https://vimeo.com/53676249

Ep8  https://vimeo.com/53678122

Ep9  https://vimeo.com/53680183

p.s. George please add these links to the first post. Thanks, Frank.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 05:38 PM »
p.s. George please add these links to the first post. Thanks, Frank.

Frank - thank you for your Stirling work. I've now updated post #1 as requested.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Thanks George.
I'm still waiting for episode 10 to be uploaded. No sign of it yet but as soon as its out there i'll PM you the link to add  to the rest.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Finally watched Madhurs last episode this morning "Goan Cuisine"

At the end she cooks a Pork Vindaloo in a Pressure Cooker and admits to using her pressure cooker all the time, cooking at home in New York. KUDOS
(She naturally uses an expensive Kuhn Rikon PC on the show.)

I've enjoyed watching this series, but don't quite get why the behind the scenes of Bangladeshi BIR kitchens were missed out.
She talked about them, but didn't actually show any. Very odd when you consider 90% of BIR are Bangladeshi run and it's the main cuisine in our English Curry Nation.

I think it maybe, Taking India as a whole, Bangladeshis are thought of as way down
the pecking order. Any thoughts?

Anyhoo for me, the series was better than expected and good TV.

cheers Chewy

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Hi
She did coment that the majority of BIR's are run by Bangladesh's cooking Punjabi food.
Regards

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Yes she did mention them but didn't go to any that I can remember and missed a large majority of where we all go for the last 30 or more years. In the programs it was a Glasgow chippy, a pub then places where the queen would go. Then went to say, let me show you how to make chicken tikka with some methods from home and called it a mix of west and home. If she went to a few curry houses I'm sure she wouldn't look down or think we're missing out becasue she would she that these places do use and do what she did and more. Many brits cook currys at home the same way she did (not this forum and BIR) but currys from scratch.

I did enjoy the series, the market stuff was nice to see. Perhaps the series was just about extremes but would like to hear what she thought of what's available by sampling a few takeaways and smaller restaurants around the cities. it's not all oil and beer with pre-prepared curry from factories. People are actually enjoying some nice stuff with actual ingredients. Even sampling a few more chippys would be good as they vary quite a lot.

©2024 Curry Recipes