Author Topic: Seasoning Used Pan  (Read 2431 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Seasoning Used Pan
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:40 AM »
I got myself one of these recently "Mermaid Little Gem 25.5 cm Omelette Pan"

I got it in a local shop but here is a description:-http://www.headcook.co.uk/mermaid-little-gem-25-5-cm-omelette-pan.html

having read somewhere that aluminium was suitable and that non-stick pans were too be avoided. I'm not saying this is correct but sifting through hundreds of posts led me there!

Anyway, it came with instructions to season the pan before use to make it non-stick, which I chose not to do.

I've only used it 2-3 times but obviously it has sustained extensive scratching which I'm a little concerned about.

So, should I have seasoned it before use or is it not important?

If so, is there any point of trying to season it now?

Do I need to invest in a 'proper' curry pan?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Seasoning Used Pan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Unlike black iron / carbon steel woks and pans, which definitely do require seasoning, I've not found this to be the case with aluminium, and have found the best way to 'season' an aluminium pan is to put it on the hob, whack the heat on, get some oil in there and start cooking with it.

It's impossible to avoid scratching it, as the curry cooking technique involves much stirring and scraping with your chef's spoon.

Besides, you don't want it to be too non-stick. One of the advantages of the ali pan is that it helps you to achieve that 'roasting effect', whereby the curry sauce caramelises slightly, intensifying the flavour. (See this for more: The Curry Pan)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01 AM »
It's impossible to avoid scratching it, as the curry cooking technique involves much stirring and scraping with your chef's spoon.

With the greatest respect, it is not impossible !  All you have to do is to use the same soft utensils as you would use with a Teflon(R)-coated pan : nylon or wood.  Even though I have now ceased to use Teflon(R)-coated pans, I continue to use the same utensils as I always did.  The benefits are two-fold : far less clatter when cooking, and an unscratched pan :)

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:23 AM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Thanks guys!

I'll use it as it is then.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59 AM »

With the greatest respect, it is not impossible !  All you have to do is to use the same soft utensils as you would use with a Teflon(R)-coated pan : nylon or wood.  Even though I have now ceased to use Teflon(R)-coated pans, I continue to use the same utensils as I always did.  The benefits are two-fold : far less clatter when cooking, and an unscratched pan :)

** Phil.

You are of course correct Phil. I should have clarified that it's impossible if you use a metal chef's spoon.

Personally, I love the clattering (though I accept that others in the house may not share this love), and while I'd obviously use a wood or nylon utensil if using non-stick, I find that nothing beats a stainless steel chef's spoon for scraping off all the glorious goo that adheres to the sides and base of the pan. (Though you don't get so much of this on the sides when cooking on an electric hob.)

Aesthetics aside, I don't think the scratching caused by spoon action mars the pan's performance in any way. I could be wrong, but it's not something that seems to trouble BIR chefs. Some of their pans look like they've taken direct mortar hits!

I guess it's a personal thing. I like cooking kit that's seen some service and has 'bedded in' nicely. (I've always secretly coveted Chewy's battered 12 year-old pan: Madras on Vimeo)

©2024 Curry Recipes