Author Topic: Hot Chilli Powder vs Mild/Medium Powder  (Read 8619 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hot Chilli Powder vs Mild/Medium Powder
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:22 PM »
I have the regular (Mild/Medium?) Rajah Chilli powder and some Asda hot chilli powder at the moment.  I will get the hot Rajah powder on my next shop but in the meantime.....

If a recipe calls for hot chilli powder is it ok to chuck in the Asda stuff or would it be best to use regular Rajah strength but perhaps double or treble the amount? I'm thinking putting more spice in the dish may affect the finished article.

Thanks.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Chilli Powder vs Mild/Medium Powder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:40 PM »
I think you need to experiment with both to see which flavour you prefer (or which best complements the dish in question).  Kashmiri mirch and deggi mirch do not differ in heat or colour alone -- they differ in flavour as well.  The same is almost certainly true for Asda ground chillies (hot) v. Rajah medium.  There really is no better method than to try both and see which you prefer.

** Phil.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Just make sure if you buy supermarket branded chilli powder that it is in fact chilli powder and not a mixture of chilli, cumin, garlic etc. which is sold to make chilli con carne type dishes.

Paul

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 04:37 PM »
I got the supermarket stuff sometime ago to spice up my chilli con carne, before I got interested in BIR.

So in principle, there is nothing wrong with increasing amount of medium powder to make a hot one?

Typically, would x2 or x3 meduim (rajah) powder turn it in to a hot one?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25 PM »
I got the supermarket stuff sometime ago to spice up my chilli con carne, before I got interested in BIR.

So in principle, there is nothing wrong with increasing amount of medium powder to make a hot one?

Typically, would x2 or x3 meduim (rajah) powder turn it in to a hot one?
As Paulp said beware the supermarket brand as it may in fact be a mixture.  As you suggest up the quantity by x2 or x3 will do the job and maybe back off on the mix powder a little bit to compensate for the overall spice content.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Don't know if it works the same in the UK, but over here "Chilli Powder" is the ground chillies, and "Chili Powder" (one L) is the mix type. Its usually easy to tell by the colour. Chilli is red, chill is much darker in colour.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:46 PM »
The hot asda variety is noticeably darker than the Rajah.

Regarding ingredients; it says Chilli Powder (81%), Cumin Seeds (7%), Salt, Garlic Powder (4%), Oregano, Natural Flavouring.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Don't know if it works the same in the UK, but over here "Chilli Powder" is the ground chillies, and "Chili Powder" (one L) is the mix type. Its usually easy to tell by the colour. Chilli is red, chill is much darker in colour.

That's interesting Josh.  I'll keep an eye out and see if i can find some examples of that over here.

Looks like you're question has been answered uclown.  Up the rajah and park the supermarket brand for your chilli con carne or something else ;D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 05:58 PM »

To the best of my knowledge (and speaking of the UK alone), "ground chillies" is invariably safe (i.e., pure ground chillies) whilst "chilli powder" (number of "l"s varying with literacy of design team) usually indicates a blend of ground chillies, ground cumin and other ingredients suitable (and intended) for making a chilli con carne.  You really can't substitute one for the other in either direction.

** Phil.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:02 PM »

That's interesting Josh.  I'll keep an eye out and see if i can find some examples of that over here.

Looks like you're question has been answered uclown.  Up the rajah and park the supermarket brand for your chilli con carne or something else ;D

I agree!  Thanks for all the contributions; truly a great forum.

©2024 Curry Recipes