Author Topic: New base recipe.  (Read 2212 times)

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
New base recipe.
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Well after todays cooking session i must say the base/gravy/curry is very very good, infact  its good enough to eat on its own, its a mixture of a few recipes posted on here. lightly spiced i think you will be impressed with it, if not i'll buy every chef and chefess's on here a beer! :P also a quick way to cook the chicken/meat to save time!
sorry i cant upload any pics, still having trouble but will try and post them in the correct colum soon as i solve the problem.

Ingrediants:

5 medium onions chopped
1 carrot/medium
1 medium baking potato
3 cloves of garlic fresh/fine grated
1" peice of ginger fresh/fine grated
1 small tin of tomatoes/blended
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 pint of oil
2 tsp ghee
water
2 tbls of chooped coriandor roots
1 tsp tandoori masala
1 tsp gara masala
2 heaped  tsp kashmiri chicken masal mix

Method,

Add the oil to a pan add the chopped onions, Now, these must be caromalised very slowly for about an hour until they are really a darkish brown, do not burn!,Google caromalised onions if your not sure, add salt half way through to bring the sugar out of the onions.

when caromalised drain the oil from the onions and put to one side for later.

chop the carrot and potato add to a pan add 1 pint of water and simmer until they are soft, then add the caromalised onions and chopped coriander simmer for 10 mins. then puree the mixture. keep simmering.

The oil from the cooked onoins can now be added to a pan, add the ghee, over a medium heat when the oil is pretty warm add the galrlic/ginger until they brown slightly,then tandoori masala/gara masala/kashmiri masala gently fry for 2 mins then add the blendid tinned tomatoes and simmer for about 10 mins.

now add this mixture to the onion mixture, add 2 tsp of suagr top up with water but do not make it to watery and simmer for 10 mins.
but this has to be cooked out a lot longer with a twist!
now add 4 or 5 breasts of chopped chicken or meat of your choice and simmer on a very low heat for one hour, this will go slightly darker and sweeter, stir from time to time, now the chicken/meat is cooked you can remove it which is fairly easy and it saves time cooking seperate and the flavour of the chicken is lovely.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:15 PM by stevejet66 »

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New base recipe.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Hi Steve, is this a recipe for a gravy that tastes like a finished curry, as in your previous post? It reads like most other gravies give or take.Also what type of ghee is used?
Thanks in advance

ELW

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New base recipe.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Hi elw, yes you can eat it as it is, but you must cook it out for good amount of time, this gets rid of all the rawness after blending the onion mixture , my son tested it last night, said it was brilliant, hes not a big eater but i didnt see anything left in his balti dish!!i just added the base to a pan add some 1 tbls chopped coriander/chicken simmered to reduce and a touch of gara masala, done! i had a bhoona, so a good base to cook any dish. regards the ghee i use kyc pure butter ghee. the one in the green tin ;D

I think this is where a lot of folk get it wrong, they cook a base gravy, puree it then use it straight away or freeze it, this will without doubt will taste bland if not sourish. once your based is blended simmer for an hour.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:09 AM by stevejet66 »

©2024 Curry Recipes