Author Topic: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!  (Read 31705 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Ooh, also forgot to mention I have my first attempt at homebrew wine fermenting away! 30 bottles worth of Merlot!
Be ready for Xmas.

Bring on the curry puffs!!(see my old old post for the best homemade Xmas snacks)
Matt

What a coincidence here... Today, I went to visit my 79 year old mum (bless her) as I do every Sunday, and she threw an old School book of mine at me from my 3rd year in secondary school. Aptly named, "Biology", class 31(B), on the cover and at the bottom, "QPR", my team at the time...  ::) lol

When I opened the book, there was not a single sheet with anything I had written from my Biology lesson's from all those years ago, (we're talking 1973 here...)

But!! In it's place are about half a dozen sheets, with hand written home made wine recipes, that my mum and her mum used to make all those years ago :)

Carrot Wine, Parsnip Wine, Orange Wine, Apple Wine, Pear Wine, Tea Wine and even Rice Wine...

I distinctly remember the Parsnip wine. When I was about 9 or 10, at some point my grandmother was round and we were all sitting in the Kitchen drinking this stuff, (well not me, I was allowed the odd sip), and I remember saying something to my grandmother, (can't remember what it was at the time now), but she started to giggle, then laugh her head off, at which point her false teeth dropped out of her mouth onto my head, which scared the living Shit out of me and I ran for cover under the kitchen table.... (I've been on therapy ever since!! lol)...

I thought these recipes had been lost forever, but to actually see them now is a fantastic bit of nostalgia for me. I will have to ferment these again at some stage and see if they are still as good today as from my memories they were all those years ago :)

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 05:17 PM »
at which point her false teeth dropped out of her mouth onto my head, which scared the living Shit out of me and I ran for cover under the kitchen table.... (I've been on therapy ever since!! lol)...

Hilarious!!

Give it a go mate and let us know the results. I gotta say my fermenting wine doesn't smell the best at this point.
All normal though according to wine makers forums.

I swear forums are what the tinternet was made for .

MM

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 05:46 PM »
at which point her false teeth dropped out of her mouth onto my head, which scared the living Shit out of me and I ran for cover under the kitchen table.... (I've been on therapy ever since!! lol)...

Hilarious!!

Give it a go mate and let us know the results. I gotta say my fermenting wine doesn't smell the best at this point.
All normal though according to wine makers forums.

I swear forums are what the tinternet was made for .

MM

I used to make beer and wine quite a few years ago in my twenties, which were ok, but the best was an Elderberry wine I made, which I thought had stopped fermenting, so did the usual, and strained it, bottled it if I can remember rightly in those days add a little Potassium Sorbate (I think it was that, if spelled correctly it was a preserver, but cannot be sure).

Then layed the bottles down in a glass fronted cabinet to mature. One Sunday afternoon, we heard this loud bang and thought, "WTF" was that? Ran into the dining room and one of the bottles had projectile'd the cork across the dining room having opened the glass door with the force, (luckily it didn't break) and wine all over the dining room floor.

We ended up with a natural sparkling red Elderberry wine which was wonderful and had 2 cases of the stuff. Obviously, it had not finished fermenting and had started a second fermentation in the bottle which gave it the gas..  ;D

Bloody marvelous!! :)

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 05:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm learning a lot about it(through forums) and de-gassing is very important , if u don't degass enough then exploding corks is the result. Seems with time wine and beer making is much more successful at home now than the old days. Think kit quality has vastly improved, and nowadays it's much more hit that miss for good redults(fingers crossed anyhow)
Shall report my findings first hand. Bottling in about 10 days time.

Matt

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm learning a lot about it(through forums) and de-gassing is very important , if u don't degass enough then exploding corks is the result. Seems with time wine and beer making is much more successful at home now than the old days. Think kit quality has vastly improved, and nowadays it's much more hit that miss for good redults(fingers crossed anyhow)
Shall report my findings first hand. Bottling in about 10 days time.

Matt

Looking forward to the results :)

Do you want my postcode, so I can assist with the sampling? ;) lol

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Lol, I see u are in Berkshire , anywhere near wokIngham? If so I'll drop a bottle in when I'm visiting my sister there!

Matt

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 06:13 PM »
In exchange for a sample tub of your best curry! ;)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 09:48 PM »
In exchange for a sample tub of your best curry! ;)

It's a deal, I'm right next door in Bracknell!! :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32 PM »
i use one of theses to put the edge on the knife, then a diamond coated steel just to re- fresh when needed.
 these are sold on ebay about a fiver, when you drag your knife across the V do it very lite it puts a razor sharp edge on.
i have Global knife sharpener (35 quid) not been used for 2 year  ::)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worlds-Best-Selling-Global-Knife-Sharpener-Brand-New-2-Blade-/181008552931?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item2a24f353e3

Thanks for the tip Chris, bought one from that eBay link and it arrived today. I've been able to put a new edge on my chef's knives today and it's probably the easiest sharpener I've ever used. My main knife which I use all the time for things like cutting onions for curries was starting to get a bit dull lately, so you might've saved me from having a slipped knife accident. My fingers thank you  ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 04:37 PM »
OK, I'll buy one !
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes