Author Topic: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!  (Read 31702 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: I've bitten the bullet and bought the best knife in the world!!
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 06:02 PM »
My main knife which I use all the time for things like cutting onions for curries was starting to get a bit dull lately, so you might've saved me from having a slipped knife accident. My fingers thank you  ;)
Mmm, i looked at a Zaal vid the other day Chris, and watching the garlic being chopped really made me cringe ::) ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 07:17 PM »
It was all for the camera... I'm like Gordon Ramsay in real life

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 07:31 PM »
It was all for the camera... I'm like Gordon Ramsay in real life

??? ???::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10 PM »
i use one of theses to put the edge on the knife, then a diamond coated steel just to re- fresh when needed.
 these are sold on ebay about a fiver, when you drag your knife across the V do it very lite it puts a razor sharp edge on.
i have Global knife sharpener (35 quid) not been used for 2 year  ::)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worlds-Best-Selling-Global-Knife-Sharpener-Brand-New-2-Blade-/181008552931?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item2a24f353e3

Thanks for the tip Chris, bought one from that eBay link and it arrived today. I've been able to put a new edge on my chef's knives today and it's probably the easiest sharpener I've ever used. My main knife which I use all the time for things like cutting onions for curries was starting to get a bit dull lately, so you might've saved me from having a slipped knife accident. My fingers thank you  ;)

and for so little moneys ;D
if anyone buys one DO NOT PRESS HARD ON THE KNIFE LIGHTLY WINS  :)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2012, 11:06 AM »
i use one of theses to put the edge on the knife, then a diamond coated steel just to re- fresh when needed.
 these are sold on ebay about a fiver, when you drag your knife across the V do it very lite it puts a razor sharp edge on.
i have Global knife sharpener (35 quid) not been used for 2 year  ::)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worlds-Best-Selling-Global-Knife-Sharpener-Brand-New-2-Blade-/181008552931?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item2a24f353e3

Thanks for the tip Chris, bought one from that eBay link and it arrived today. I've been able to put a new edge on my chef's knives today and it's probably the easiest sharpener I've ever used. My main knife which I use all the time for things like cutting onions for curries was starting to get a bit dull lately, so you might've saved me from having a slipped knife accident. My fingers thank you  ;)

and for so little moneys ;D
if anyone buys one DO NOT PRESS HARD ON THE KNIFE LIGHTLY WINS  :)

For 6.69 delivered I will try it out on some cheap knives and / or the garden shears. I don't think I will be putting my best Wustoff or Kai Shun through it though  ;D

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 12:46 PM »
I have one now and routinely run my knives though it gently before and after use; no signs of a razor edge, as I had hoped, but probably does the job.  I will know more the next time I have occasion to cut into a tomato.  Fairly certain it won't work for garden shears, 'though : they need one flat and one angled edge, whereas this device is intended to give two angled edges.

* Phil.

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 01:10 PM »
hi Phil
not wanting to tell you what is what, if say your knife edge angle is 45 deg and this sharpener is set at 30 deg, your cutting edge will not be touched. you will need to run the knife though it till it gets to the set angle on the sharpener.
like this\V/

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Be warned though Phil, this style of tungsten carbide sharpener, eats through blades. You can literally see the metal peel of the blade as you pull it through.

A friend of mine bought one (not this one) for his Gerber Paraframe. I bought the same knife a year later which is when we started talking about sharpening. He gave me the same warning and to demonstrate this, he showed me his knife to compare with mine. I couldn't believe the difference, almost half the blade had been removed, it looked more like a filleting knife!

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 02:19 PM »
you are spot on Axe, that's why in my post i put "i use one of theses to put the edge on the knife, then a diamond coated steel just to re- fresh when needed."

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 02:25 PM »
Used properly a decent knife should not need sharpening very often at all - just honing as already described.

©2024 Curry Recipes