Author Topic: Viceroy Brasserie Abbots Langley: Chef Imram  (Read 56430 times)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Viceroy Brasserie Abbots Langley: Chef Imram
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 10:32 PM »
Spotted the Chef of one of our local t/a cleaning his feet on the worktop through a partly open hatch into the kitchen  :P got a refund and don't use the t/a anymore !

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 11:08 PM »
I will emphasise, books/videos! all for publicity, quote: cory ander! unless anyone comes up with a major break through this is the best i can do. myself ive trawled websites you name it. infact 5 hour this evening,still the same recipes, over and over again more or less whats on here.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Thanks for posting Rob.  Enjoyed watching them all.  Would love to see some of the many standard dishes being cooked.  As for the "state" of the kitchen, i think there many up and down the country like it and i dare say there are probably plenty a lot worse :o. I hope to see more videos from them.

Yes, I thought they are really good.  I think I will take them up on their offer for more info on the recipes.  Reckon I'll write to them and include a stamped/addressed envelope (a big un!).

Rob  :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 03:13 PM »
Yes, I thought they are really good.  I think I will take them up on their offer for more info on the recipes.  Reckon I'll write to them and include a stamped/addressed envelope (a big un!).

How about offering to scour all their pots and pans and clean their range in exchange for some hands-on tuition ?  Sounds like a fair swap to me !

** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 01:59 PM »
The chap narrating the Viceroy vids (Ali) had uploaded a new youtube describing his blog website.  Base gravy and spinach bhaji recipes soon!

please check my blog

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 04:32 PM »
 :D :D
I wonder who asked for the gravy and saag bhaji recipe  ::) ::)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 05:37 PM »
The chap narrating the Viceroy vids (Ali) had uploaded a new youtube describing his blog website.  Base gravy and spinach bhaji recipes soon!

please check my blog

For those with no sound (or those, like this idiot, who forgot to turn it on  ::)): http://www.myindian.biz/

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Ali is on a mission with these vids.  Some new ones uploaded, including a tour of the sparkly kitchen, and a rather fine looking tandoori prawn dish involving 2 tbsp of Maggi Tamarina sauce.  Got to give this a go!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 10:33 AM »
Chicken madras two-part youtube recently uploaded.  Looks good! 

The narrator is called Ala and not Ali as I posted earlier.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 12:16 PM »
Chicken madras two-part youtube recently uploaded.  Looks good! 

The narrator is called Ala and not Ali as I posted earlier.

Just watched both parts. Points of interest for me, in terms of how it varies from other BIR Madras dish videos we've seen, were:

1. Use of sliced/chopped garlic instead of garlic/ginger paste.
2. Spices straight into hot oil (usually diluted tom puree tends to go in first).
3. No dried methi leaf.
4. Less spices/mix powder than I've seen some chefs use. Looked to be around half a tablespoon of mix powder and half a tablespoon of chilli powder (though heat levels are augmented by the use of naga paste).
5. Much less tomato puree used than some chefs. I'd guess only a tablespoon or so, rather than the full chef spoon (2-3 tablespoons some put in). This results in a much lighter coloured Madras than some I've encountered (including my own).
6. A fairly lengthy reduction period, with the pan sitting over the flame bubbling away untouched (though I know lots of other chefs do this as well).
7. I didn't spot any of the traditional lemon dressing going in, though may have missed it.
8. Despite the lengthy reduction time, the end result is a relatively thin sauce. (Not a criticism, just an observation.)

Of course, the proof of the Madras is in the munching, but it's interesting to observe how different chefs approach the same dishes in slightly different ways.

For me, the most accomplished chefs are the ones who can extract more depth of flavour from smaller quantities of spices. I think many of us (including me) tend to err on the side of caution and use too much on occasions, so I'm going to try reigning myself in for the next Madras attack.

Looking forward to more from Chef Imram!

©2024 Curry Recipes