Author Topic: In search of a Chicken Balti recipe  (Read 14351 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: In search of a Chicken Balti recipe
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31 PM »
I have devised a strategy in my quest for the balti.  Taking on board unclefranks advice on building it up in stages.  Reckon to work on three main areas; taste, texture and consistency.  Taste is key so simplistically if I can get the taste right, I should then be able to play about with the other two until everything matches what I want. This is the plan anyway.  Start by getting the flavours and sweetness right in a basic balti sauce/dish.  I loved my recent kushi chicken balti and that is the first aim.  I have got the book now and will soon prepare the base. An advantage here is a tangible comparator. That is, I can go to the kushi and get one of their chicken baltis and compare with mine, side-by-side.  Then I can focus on the other layers, roasted garlic etc.  I have also booked myself on one of the kushi cooking courses (starts mid January).  Looking forward to it immensely. 

Rob  :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I would say go easy on the mace as it nearly ruined it for me when I made this base.

Paul

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:39 PM »
I second that PaulP mace is a very powerful spice.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 05:34 PM »
getonthegarabi,

i love my balti's from brum. i've never been able to get anywhere close.

they taste so simple and appear to have very few obvious ingredients. having tried a good few of the recipes on the site and having a reasonable feel of ingredient tastes/effects i think the difference can only be in the base.

am certainly up for helping out in anyway i can. even if you don't get close the experience in trying to master something like this is well worth the effort.

the onlyway for me would be to get some inside leads. my gut feeling is that it's down to the whole spice.

i have a decent balti book but even that's not got me to where i want. razor's balti has got me closest.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Again, be carefull with the amount of mace from me.
At first I thought it was the Cassia Bark that was overpowering in the kushi recipe, but now know its the mace.

Good luck and please post up your success stories as I love a good balti and have not yet been ablt to replicate one successfully.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 09:50 AM »
Cheers guys.  Will update on any progress.  Already encountered a problem.  Just looking through my copy of Authentic Balti Curry for the first time and the printers have block stamped six pages with the instruction, Replace With Colour Insert, covering much of the text, including the base recipe.  I might be able to decipher it.  Reckon someone at Amazon doesnt like me. 

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 10:34 AM »
getonthegarabi,

i love my balti's from brum. i've never been able to get anywhere close.

they taste so simple and appear to have very few obvious ingredients. having tried a good few of the recipes on the site and having a reasonable feel of ingredient tastes/effects i think the difference can only be in the base.

am certainly up for helping out in anyway i can. even if you don't get close the experience in trying to master something like this is well worth the effort.

the onlyway for me would be to get some inside leads. my gut feeling is that it's down to the whole spice.

i have a decent balti book but even that's not got me to where i want. razor's balti has got me closest.

Got to be the hardest curry to replicate.  Im going to keep a close eye on this thread. Baltis are my favourite curry by far so best of luck Getonthegarabi

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 11:17 AM »
Cheers guys.  Will update on any progress.  Already encountered a problem.  Just looking through my copy of Authentic Balti Curry for the first time and the printers have block stamped six pages with the instruction, Replace With Colour Insert, covering much of the text, including the base recipe.  I might be able to decipher it.  Reckon someone at Amazon doesnt like me. 

Base recipe is already posted on cr0 here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4283.0

Paul

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Getonthegarabi i have PM'd you, check your messages at the top right of the page.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Getonthegarabi i have PM'd you, check your messages at the top right of the page.

Received. Many thanks.

©2024 Curry Recipes