Author Topic: Butter Chicken  (Read 11418 times)

Offline buzz

• Chef
    • View Profile
Butter Chicken
« on: May 13, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Here's a Butter Chicken receipe for you to try, it's made with tandoori chicken so i've included the receipe for that as well,

Should serve 4

Tandoori Chicken

900g/2lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
2 crushed garlic cloves
2.5cm/1" fresh grated ginger
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp roasted, ground cumin seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne
5 tbsp natural low-fat yogurt
25g melted unsalted butter

Make shallow cuts in chicken breasts. Toss with the lemon juice and salt. Set aside for 30mins.
Mix crushed garlic cloves with the grated ginger, paprika, cardamom, cumin seeds, cayenne and yogurt. Pour over the chicken. Marinate at room temp for 2-4 hours.

Preheat oven to 240deg C / 475deg F / gas 9

Remove chicken from marinade, place on a rack set over a roasting tin and drizzle with the melted butter.

Bake for 20mins until tender and slightly charred.

Butter Chicken

Tandoori Chicken (as above)
400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
2 green chillies deseeded and roughly chopped
2.5cm/1" fresh grated ginger
80g/3oz unsalted butter
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
142ml/1/4 pint carton double cream
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin seeds (dry fried & ground)
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Cut chicken into bite size pieces and set aside. Put tomatoes, chillies and ginger into a food processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste. Melt 50g/2oz butter in a flameproof casserole. Add ground cumin and paprika and fry for 15 seconds. Add tomato, chilli and ginger paste and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10mins, until thick.

Stir salt, cream and chicken into the sauce and simmer for 10mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining butter, garam masala and cumin. Cover and set aside.

Prepare whatever rice you are having with your butter chicken. Bring chicken back up to a gentle simmer and stir in the chopped coriander.

Enjoy

Buzz

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Butter Chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Sounds really good, any chance of a picture, its a dish that seems to be popping up a lot on menus and not only on Indian restaurant menu's either.

Offline buzz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:46 PM »
No piccy's at the mo, i've not made this for a while. Will supply piccy when I make it next.

As you can see from the ingredients it is a rich buttery dish. Not a spicy dish but lots of flavour. I think you will enjoy it but its not one you make every week.  ;)

Buzz

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Buzz

Is this a BIR recipe or an 'authentic' recipe, do you know? I always suspect the latter, if no base sauce and other pointers are included in a dish like this.

Also do you have any history or background of where this recipe comes from?

Regards
George

Offline buzz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:11 AM »
George,

This recipe is not from a BIR so yes you must call it 'Authentic'

Over the past few years I have visited Goa 3 times and got to know a chef at a Goan Restaurant. They don't make up a base gravy like the one's used in the BIR's in this country but make up several different one's!

One of the gravy's is a tomato gravy. If you look at the 1st paragraph of making the butter chicken it says blend the tomatoes, chillies and ginger. This must be the base of a tomato gravy (but this is not from the chef I talk to in Goa)!

I think that alot of members on the forum would be a little dissappointed with the Vindaloo they serve out there as it tastes different to here and not as hot!

They do make a traditional curry called a Balchao with uses malt vinegar! It tastes sweet and is suprisingly nice.

Buzz

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Buzz

I must visit Goa some time. I've been to Northern India and it's a gastronomic thrill. The food is superb - much better than any BIR I've ever visited.  The reason I asked for clarification between BIR and authentic, was that this thread was originally under the heading of "British Indian Restaurant Recipes" before it was moved by CK.

Regards
George
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 02:54 PM by George »

Offline jonnyv

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 08:21 PM »
made this. great recipe. wasn't the same of my local, but the chances were slim :) gets the thumbs up from me.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:43 AM »
I made it too and it was superb. I have noticed that in Scotland you tend to get Butter Chicken in Birs that are actually owned by Indians as apposed to Pakistanis. It is a favorite of mine and this recipe came as close as I might have expected from the site.

Thanks Panpot

Offline Juvi

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 10:03 AM »
I made this dish and it turned out amazing , thanks a lot

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 02:57 PM »
I have had a dish called chicken butter boneless in the Khyber restauarant Dubai - back street place.  Fantastic tasting mild dish

©2024 Curry Recipes