Author Topic: Butter Chicken  (Read 11420 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Butter Chicken
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 04:41 PM »
buzz - tried your dish at the weekend - excellent taste - would really recommend this - far better than most of the takeaway / eat in dishes in my locality

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 09:51 PM »
I tried to knock up a butter chicken BIR style (with base sauce) tonight with limited success. I was hoping for a real buttery flavour like I get in my local BIR but I didn't achieve it. I added a quarter of a block of butter at the end of cooking so that it wouldn't get ruined by too much cooking. It still didn't have that buttery taste! Anyone have any tips to help me out please?

chipfryer

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 11:55 PM »
My Indian friend cooked this at his house for me. This was just as good as any restaurant I have been in. I do have the recipe though I need to lay my hands on it.

I think for the most part people look at hotter dishes to equal what they cook compared to that of the take-away or other? Simple is best and works in all fields. I think we are all missing the real point? Is it good to eat?

And...............

Has anyone here served up a dish to an Indian?
I was asked to do this and shortly I will.

Let you know the results soon if I can.

Many thanks.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Heston Blumenthal did a good programme on Chicken Tikka Marsalla this week - describing it basically as butter chicken

chipfryer

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Hi Ghoulie

If thats the case I'll try and pull up my Indian mates recipe, (Lost it). Darned delicious that was and very tender too. His was less in the way of tomatoes  but never the less very good.

Have to try yours too, I try everything. Thanks again for posting it. 

Heston Blumenthal did a good programme on Chicken Tikka Marsalla this week - describing it basically as butter chicken

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:14 PM »
just done your dish today buzz - whole leg of chicken as per tikka on the bone - very good & missus liked it too - I prefer robothrobos sauce to yours - but wife liked both ( I did Robos at same time - but his chicken still marinading - get to cook that tomorrow)  I also did Heston Blumenthals Chicken Tikka Massalla - one on the bone & one off - prefer the on the bone bit - off cooked too quickly.  I'd forget his brine marinade overnight in this recipe - too salty for me.  His sauce quite good - but not what i would describe as butter chicken which he likens it too.

None of the sauces here tried (3) by me in this run anyhting like a genuine Indian butter chicken that I know well from Dubai - but it won't stop me trying !

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Buzz. That is a good recipe that I have used before. I think the original recipe came from Classic Indian Cookery by Julie Sahni which I used for a long time until I tried the Pat Chapman version from his Bangladeshi retaurant cookbook.
I am sure I have the Pat Chapman one somewhere and will post it so you can compare the two.
From memory I believe I ended up cooking the Julie Sahni tandoori chicken and combined it with the Pat Chapman sauce. It was swuch a long time ago that you have perked up my interest again and I will have to go and have a play.

Regards
T63

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 07:50 AM »
I am sure I have the Pat Chapman one somewhere and will post it so you can compare the two.

I have posted this to CR0 before so forgive me for repeating it. I also thought that this should be posted in the restaurant recipes section but it is pertinent to what has been posted here.

From Pat Chapman's The Bangladeshi Restaurant Cookbook

Chicken Tikka for 4
675g(1.5lb) fresh chicken breasts, skinned, filleted and cut into20-24x3.75
(1.5 inch) cubes.

Marinade
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons garam masala
1-teaspoon ground cumin
0.5-teaspoon turmeric
150ml (5fl oz) thick natural yoghurt (home made is best but not essential)
2 tablespoons mustard oil
4 large, plump garlic cloves very finely chopped
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-tablespoon tomato puree
1-teaspoon salt
Approx 50ml (2fl oz) milk

1. Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large non-metallic bowl
2. Add the chicken pieces. Cover with cling film (Food wrap) and refrigerate for 24-60 hours. (If chicken has previously been frozen do not exceed the 24 hour marinating period, 60 hours can be achieved with fresh chicken which has not previously been frozen)
3. Just prior to cooking divide the chicken between four skewers. (Use the
marinade in a curry or discard it)
4. Pre-heat the grill to medium. Place the skewered chicken on an oven rack above a foil lined grill tray and place the tray in a midway position. Alternately the chicken can be barbecued.
5. Cook for 5 minutes, turn and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Cut through one piece of chicken to ensure it is fully cooked through, it should be white right through with no hint of pink. Cook further as necessary. When fully cooked raise the tray nearer to the heat and singe pieces to obtain little flecks of blackening. Do not overdo it and burn the chicken
7. Serve with Indian bread, rice etc and a raita or reserve for use in Chicken

Tikka Massala.
Chicken Tikka Massala
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large plump cloves of garlic, finely chopped
225g (8 oz) onions, very finely chopped
1.5 tablespoons bottled mild curry paste
1.5 tablespoons bottled tandoori paste
20-24 chicken Tikka pieces cooked to the previous recipe
6 tinned plum tomatoes, chopped
1-tablespoon vinegar, any type
1-tablespoon tomato ketchup
175ml (6 fl oz) canned tomato soup
Half a green pepper, chopped
0-4 fresh green chillies, chopped (optional)
100ml (4 fl oz) single cream
1-tablespoon garam masala
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
Salt to taste

1. Heat the oil in a large karai or wok
2. Stir-fry the garlic for 30 seconds, then add the onions and stir-fry for 8-10 minutes until golden brown
3. Add the pastes and stir-fry for a couple of minutes, then add the chicken and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, adding just enough water to keep things from sticking
4. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, ketchup, soup, green pepper and chillies if using. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or so.
5. Add the cream, garam masala and chopped coriander leaves. Simmer for a further 2 minutes, adding a little water if needed. Add salt to taste and then serve

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 10:18 AM »

©2024 Curry Recipes