Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 68559 times)

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A GOOD CURRY BASE
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Thanks very much for sharing this, Terry - and thanks also to George for the reformatted layout, and to CC, Curryqueen and Curryking for posting feedback on the result.  I've just run out of my last lot of base so I'll be trying this next. :)

One thing I've noticed - Terry's version has a teaspoon of concentrated tamarind added with the coconut block,  and I can't see it on George's draft.  Was this added by Terry in an edit after George had posted?

I'm interested in this, because my local's menu has brief descriptions like "Madras - hot curry cooked with cinnamon, lemon juice etc" and "Pathia - fairly hot curry cooked with tamarind".  I've thought for a long time that they're actually selectively describing ingredients in their base sauce and pre-cooked meat methods in doing this, as it's unlikely  that there's this much variation in individual dishes (but it makes it seem so on the menu, without breaking the Trade Descriptions Act ;D  ). Anyway:

Those of you that have made this base up - did you use the tamarind?

Ian
--

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 02:26 PM »
Hi IAN S  The purpose of tamarind is to preserve in hot weather,but also gives a little bitter taste which should be overcome with sugar.The reason I cook myself is that being a diabetic I use sweetners instead.By the way,some use citric acid or otherwise known as lemon salt but ill leave that to your own discetion cheers TERRY ps the curry base will taste more authentic using the prper curry powder which is rajah madras gold.
the take aways use eastern star or natco but the first is supirior

Offline RajBangar

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 09:47 PM »
Hi All

I am Raj from Simplyspice, I read George's earlier coment that being unable to copy text from our website is iritating. I am going to have it it disabled first thing in the morning.

We are currently redisigning the website, if anyone has any ideas or suggestion, please let me know.

Regards
Raj
http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 01:52 AM »
Ian

You make some good points. I think restaurant menus are like supermarket food packets and even hair shampoo - they mention the most romantic ingredients, regardless of real significance or usefulness.

I didn't notice tamarind in Terry's original draft but will include it in an update to my reworked draft, together with some other clarifications.

Raj

Your fast response - even being aware of my posting - is most impressive.

Regards
George

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 08:23 AM »
I am Raj from Simplyspice
http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/

Hi Raj,

Any chance of a discount code for cr0.co.uk members  ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 08:33 AM »
Hey CurryKing don't you mean, Any chance of a discount code for cr0.co.uk members for bags of the taste.  ;D ;)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 08:47 AM »
Curry King any chance of the format you added the spices you used to make a vindaloo from this base recipe, I'm going shopping tomorrow to pick up everything I need to cook this recipe.

Cheers

Chas

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 09:36 AM »
Hi Chas,

I make a vindaloo as per the following:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,179.0.html

The only updates I have made are to add fresh chili at the begining in place of so much chili powder.  I also tend to use a bit more spice mix now at least a heaped teaspoon, this gravy is quite flavourful though so I didn't over spice the final curry.

This what you where after?
cK

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Yes, thank you very much I'm gonna give a go this weekend.

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 01:56 PM »
To keep everything less confusing and this thread about the base I have split the posts regarding Terrys Tikka recipe to a seperate topic here:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,932.0.html

cK

©2024 Curry Recipes