Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 68544 times)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: A GOOD CURRY BASE
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Well I've made the base it certainly didn't stink the house out like the KD base (which up to now I've been a fan of) now that alone is a plus.

A strange colour to say the least when I blended the onion base part looked almost like custard but never the less it tasted like a good base for a soup or a broth; OK so far.

Did the second part got a lot of splashes, nothing new, just a messy kitchen again LOL, yet again a different aroma and not a bad taste.

Stage three added everythin as instructed, a lot more froth to scoop off than usual but I stuck with it.

Well a taste, not bad, obviously not a curry at this stage but nevertheless, not bad at all especially when you hit on one or two of the seeds, that was different and quite pleasant.

Overall this base is very promising, I'm gonna cook a Dopiaza later and I will let you know how it turns out.

I have to say at this stage I am very optimistic, thanks ifindforu for the recipe.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2006, 03:01 PM »
Pics of a Dopiaza from ifindforu base recipe.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 03:05 PM »
The curry certainly looks a lot lighter in colour compared to my usual efforts, any chance of a pic of your curries ifindforu.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Very impressive nice colour / texture looking good and a nice oil content well done !

I will post my recipes shortly for
Lamb Bhoona On The Bone.
Layne   ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:25 PM by laynebritton »

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Pretty much what my base looked like, almost looks like a pasanda.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Hi extrahotchilliecould i ask you did you use Rajah Madras Gols curry powder doing this base, If you do not have any Im awillind to send some free of charge to you just email me your address and ill send.It matters 100% on what curry powder you use,The one I mentioned is used by most restaurants and can only be bought in 10 kilo tins,but ill send you some bagged.Ill leave it up to you TERRY PS different colours of base curry in different restaurants but pasanda has almond powder in it and fresh cream.Hope to hear from you TERRY

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 01:33 AM »
Well what can I say you are totally correct it was on sale; yes 10kg no way could I justify buying that amount; I used east end Madras Curry Powder, its 1:29am and we have been to a party and enjoying it and I don't only mean the party, we are eating the curry I made after a few hours it tastes really good; well done to you and thank you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:58 AM by extrahotchillie »

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2006, 10:22 AM »
Hi Terry,

If the gold curry powder really is the key, then I need to get hold of some.   Having said that I am well pleased with the curry base I made.   My Asian store had only very large amounts too, so instead I used Rajah Mild Madras Curry powder. 

Offline buzz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2006, 07:08 PM »

Hi can somebody tell me if things are right?

I've made Terry's base but it tastes like a creamed veg soup!

I've put 3 tsp of the 'all purpose seasoning' in but it still tastes veggy! is this right?

my sause looks quite alot darker than that of 'fat les'

Any help would be appriciated

Thanks Buzz

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2006, 08:03 AM »
Hi Buzz
If you read my report I said the same thing it would make a lovely stock for a soup or broth, but trust me make a curry out of it you wont be disappointed; I made a balti out of the base yesterday and it was the real deal, I will post the pictures a little later.

©2024 Curry Recipes