Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 68417 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: A GOOD CURRY BASE
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2006, 09:40 AM »
I have tried Terrys' recipe five times to date , including both the original recipe as well as a number of variations . I still find this base  far too bland and lacking flavor.

Have you tried using the all purpose seasoning?  For me this and the large amount of garlic makes this base.  It could just be a case of all looking for different things again but for me this base is fantastic.  Wether or not I would use it all time in place of my regular base remains to be seen I'm going to experiment a little combining the two.

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Hi Terry

Is there any chance you might be able to send me a small sample of Rajah Madras Gold to try when I make your base recipe, please?  I've PM'd my address to you.

Can't find it anywhere locally - the nearest store selling it is in London (as far as I can see).

Ian
--

Offline buzz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Hi Terry,

Yes I used double concentrated tomato puree.
Other Makes I used, which is what I could get hold of from the Asian supermarket were:

East End 'all purpose seasoning'
Rajah 'mild madras curry powder'

Hopefully I will make a curry later and able to post my results. Fingers crossed

Thanks to extrahotchillie for helping me post my piccy of the base. Problems solved with resizing my photo's so can now post myself.  ;D

Buzz

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2006, 02:52 PM »

Have you tried using the all purpose seasoning?  For me this and the large amount of garlic makes this base.  It could just be a case of all looking for different things again but for me this base is fantastic.  Wether or not I would use it all time in place of my regular base remains to be seen I'm going to experiment a little combining the two.

I have used the all purpose seasoning , but still find this base is like a sweet vegetable stock with little substance- I shall continue to experiment .

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Blimey, Terry - that was quick!  I got your package this morning!

Thanks very much.  It looks like you've included some all-purpose seasoning as well; looks slightly different to the Rajah version (which I've already got).

Thanks again

Ian
--

Offline alsimbo

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Re your request for a good tandoori marinade - I use as the base 1 tub of yogurt, 4 teaspoons of Tandoori mix, 2 teaspoons of Garam Massala, I teaspoon of Chili powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric and the juice of 1 lemon. Mix it all together and marinade your chicken overnight in the fridge. Try increasing/reducing the amounts above and adding your own variations such as Garlic (fresh or powder), Cumin and Coriander to suit your own requirements.

I've found that they are ideal to BBQ at home, however, if the weather isn't good (normally the case!) I quickly pan fry just to get rid of the excess marinade and then oven cook for a short while  - no more than 15 mins dependant upon the size of the meat of course

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2006, 12:55 PM »
Thanks Terry
That was very promt indeed, I owe you big time.

Cheers

Chas

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2006, 01:32 PM »
Thanks Terry so much for the curry powder and all purpose seasoning.  Well, that didn't take long, did it!  What make is the all purpose seasoning.  Thanks again. CQ

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I've made this base now, and a couple of curries using it too.  I'm afraid it's way off the mark, for me.

I made it exactly as Terry's recipe states, with no alterations, and with the Rajah Gold and all-purpose seasoning that he kindly sent me.

The fact that CK, CQ and others have said that it produces some of the best curries they've made can only show - I think - how different some of our individual goals in replicating BIR curries must be.  Perhaps we're all searching for a different quality, influenced by our favourite restaurants, experiences, and even region of the country.

I now think it's entirely possible that if some of you tried a curry from my favourite local takeaway, you wouldn't like it at all.

But anyway, thanks again Terry for sharing the recipe and making the necessary spices available to us.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Ive tried this base and was impressed with it, the final tarka stage is essential in reproducing a BIR taste IMHO.

The thing to bear in mind is, like many bases, this produces a very bland base stock/soup with which to work from, the taste and flavour of the final dish comes mainly from the final dish cooking stage in my opinion. With the long frying of spices/onions/tom puree in very hot oil being the key stage.

©2024 Curry Recipes