Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 67988 times)

Offline karl.s.berg

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Good Curry Base
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2015, 09:32 PM »
I made this base tonight. The taste is pretty amazing given the short time cooking. This might become a new favourite.

Was a bit too generous on the salt during the final stages (recipe kind of stated "more salt and sugar gives more flavour") so it ended up rather salty. I might start over adding the salt only in the final stages AFTER the all seasoning, whose main ingredient is salt too.

Anyway, a true winner based on the first curry I tried. Looking forward to trying other recipes with this!

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2015, 08:37 AM »
Ive never tried this base.
IFFU's posts are always a good read.
I have noticed that a lot of base recipes - particularly the more "authentic" ones always over season the gravy.
Depending on the volume made, I never add more than 1 Tblsp salt. You can always add more later!

Cheers

Mick

Offline karl.s.berg

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Ive never tried this base.
IFFU's posts are always a good read.
I have noticed that a lot of base recipes - particularly the more "authentic" ones always over season the gravy.
Depending on the volume made, I never add more than 1 Tblsp salt. You can always add more later!

Cheers

Mick

That's very much true! I chucked out the my batch of yesterday and made a new one today. It really was too salty. Good thing is that this base only takes about 2 hours to make, cleaning included.

I have added only pinches of salt where it was asked for and then added three teaspoons APS at the end. Still comes out quite salty (I usually hardly eat any salt, that will certainly play a roll). It's rather the aftertaste this time and the base itself does not taste overly salty when I just slurped it. So my advice would be to really be careful with the APS on this one.

I'm considering making my own APS version without salt for the next batch. In the meantime, this batch is going into the freezer. Looking forward to make some curries with this!

EDIT: added picture of the base. I got 12x 350ml, which is usually the amount I use for a curry for 2 to 3 persons.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:40 PM by karl.s.berg »

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Hi all
I haven't been on this site for so long I can't remember, nice to see it is still up and running. I still use this recipe for my base sauce (slightly modified) and for me it's still the best base sauce recipe.

Regards,

Chas

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2015, 10:50 PM »
I tried this the other day. Although I halved the inclusion of coconut and modified the cooking technique slightly (made a baghaar with garlic, ginger and spices as opposed to boiling them). It's well up there with the best of them.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2021, 07:52 PM »
I haven't been here for a long time however, I have used Terry's recipe from day one of posting and over the years I have made some of the best curries ever. Look no further for the perfect base sauce. Oh and it's nice to pop into this site once again.  :owsome:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Welcome back, EHC !  Oh, and what a co-incidence — virtually the last words of the recipe are "please note, more salt and suger will enhance the taste".  Just a few days ago, and in another thread, bhamcurry wrote "because salt, sugar, and fat make everything taste better".  What goes around, comes around.
--
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2021, 09:15 PM »
Did anyone actually use the Rajah Madras Gold curry powder IFFU stipulated?

I can only find it in bulk here: https://tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk/products/rajah-madras-gold-curry-powder-10kg

The ingredient list doesn't exactly shout "gold" to me.

Ground Coriander, Ground Turmeric, Mustard Powder, Chilli Powder, Bengal Gram (Black Chickpea), Ground Fenugreek, Iodised Salt, Ground Cumin, Ground Bay, Ground Fennel, Garlic Powder

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2021, 09:38 PM »
The ingredient list doesn't exactly shout "gold" to me.

What were you hoping for, Santa ?  Pulverised unicorn horn, dried bull's pizzle, fairy dust, gold nanoparticles ?
P.S. Available here at less than a fiver for 250gm (the curry powder, that is, not the gold nanoparticles — they are a bit more expensive ...).
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2021, 12:42 AM »
The use of "gold" could be a descriptor or method of differentiation between products and may not necessarily have any relationship to the actual quality.  Cigarettes of a popular brand out here used to come in Red, Blue and Gold packaging for different strengths (ie: levels of harmful pollutants).  Perhaps this Curry Powder is a gold colour due to Turmeric being the 2nd listed ingredient.

Simply mixing together guessed ratios of the listed ingredients will not necessarily produce the curry powder replica.  It is also possible that the "Gold" is nearly the same as the Rajah Mild Madras Powder available to the general public and simply marketed this way for commercial use in 10 kg packaging.  Same ingredients but in a different order, notably with the Chill Powder moved down the list and more filler (Bengal Gram) and the addition of Black Pepper.

Ground Coriander, Ground Turmeric, MUSTARD Powder, Bengal Gram (Black Chickpea), Ground Cumin, Ground Chilli, Ground Fenugreek, Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Iodised Salt, Ground Fennel.

It would of course be interesting to know if anybody did try this powder and if it made any discernible difference.

©2024 Curry Recipes