Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 67984 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A GOOD CURRY BASE
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2007, 04:31 PM »
Looking forward to your response.
You can post up some pictures in the Curry Pics section if you get a chance, let us see how you got on

Stew 8)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Have now made this curry base and im a bit disapionted.  I have a few pictures on my phone and I will try and download them but the base its self doesnt taste like a BIR curry to me.  I could have done something wrong but it still seems way off the crries from around these parts (northeast). 

Will try Darthphal next and post the results.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2007, 07:17 AM »
Hi lorrydoo,

Sorry to hear your results are not upto expectation.  I would say this base sauce is not as complex in flavour as Darth's Base it is however a good building block base to re-create restaurant style at home.

The next step is to make the curry and dont forget a lot of the spicing and flavours come in the final cooking stages which when combined with the base sauce = nice curry.
I know how you feel, you make a base sauce and sometimes its a bit bland, but trust me try one of the recipes for a main dish using the base and see if the magic happens.

Curry on...
Stew 8)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Thanks for your advice Stew, I think part of the problem with this base is the way I cooked it.  I put too much oil in because the recipe called for 'cups' and I mistakenly used a mug!  Als, I think I might of burnt the spices at the end.

I did however findthat the finished gravey was darker than anything I had seen before and it was more like a finished curry rather than a base!

I do have a recipe for chiken tika masala that is extreemly good and authentic to BIR curries.  It was given to me by a friend and it is flawless.  I would post it on here but it probably is already on here somewhere but if anyone wants it I ll post it.

Barry

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Hi lorrydoo,
Go ahead and post it :P

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2007, 11:10 AM »
the base its self doesnt taste like a BIR curry to me.  I could have done something wrong but it still seems way off the crries from around these parts (northeast).

I wouldn't give up yet! A base and a curry are two different things. The base is just a building block. If you licked a bit of flour you wouldn't expect it to taste like bread, even though bread is 90% flour.

Base will normally taste quite bland, in my experience - a bit like soup but nothing like a final curry.

Regards
George

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Wheres the best place to post my chiken tika masala recipe?  It in PDF format.  Oh and by the way thanks for you advice george.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2007, 04:17 AM »
...if you licked a bit of flour you wouldn't expect it to taste like bread, even though bread is 90% flour

Nice analogy George!  I like it!  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2007, 04:23 AM »
Wheres the best place to post my chiken tika masala recipe?

Hi LD,

I've tried Terry's (Ifindforu's) curry base recipe and I found it to be very good....better than Darth's, IMHO, though Darth's is also pretty good.

The place to post your CTM recipe is in the main-dish recipe section (here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=3.0) - "new topic" option.  Your post would be most welcome! 

It's probably best to copy and paste the text of your recipe to the text box in your post.  Otherwise, if you prefer, you can simply attach the pdf file (click on "additional options", and then "attach/browse" below the text box)

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:33 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2007, 06:49 PM »
I have to agree with CA here, this base is one of the best on the forum, up there with Bruce Edwards and Petes special.

cK
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 06:51 PM by Curry King »

©2024 Curry Recipes