Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 67981 times)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A GOOD CURRY BASE
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 09:32 PM »
i Terry,

Managed to get some all purpose seasoning.  How much do I use instead of stock cubes?
I have started making this curry base and would much appreciate a quick reply if thats possible.  Can't wait to try out this base.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 09:34 PM »
It's me again,  Sorry, I forgot to ask about the potatoes.  Can they be used to make a dish or do I just throw them away?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Pete I was not a BIR chef,but have worked in Indian take away and a restaurant for 4 years .You have to be a silent watcher and not show much interest as it will not be revealed to you TERRY
Does some sort of chicken stock go in all the curry gravies?

The way one restauarnt cooks their potatoes, is with cauliflower
They put loads of oil in a pan with tom puree, spice mix , salt, bay leaves, garlic ginger and a little curry base.
|Basically it cooks in it's own steam, and oil
Have you seen it done like that?
Tell us how
It's so nice, that it could be eaten on it's own
I put a little of the sauce, from the pan with the potatoes, in the final curry
Thanks for your info
A big help

Do you know a tandoori marinade mix?
I saw chicken tikka being cooked on skewers, the other night
I was surprised how they tell if it's cooked
Apparently it is done by touch
If its sloppy then it's not done
If it's firm then it's ready to serve
Their tikka, tandoori is always fresh and excellent
I'm not totally sure of this place's recipe, but it contains yoghurt, tandoori paste,kashmiri masala, salt , lemon juice, fresh corianderand garlic ginger puree
Come on Terry give us the full recipe
Thanks
Pete

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Looking forward to feedback on this recipe.  Perhaps the secret  :o :o answer is upon us!

Stew

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Tried this base sauce...nice taste , but obvious overtones of coconut ( perhaps a tad too much ) . I would also think that there would be a subtle difference when using either chicken stock cubes or  " special seasoning " . For bases to reflect a distinct BIR taste , one has to be very specific with the ingredients - generalizing , by stating one can use one ingredient or another tends to skew the results of the cooking method . I will experiment a little more with this base..until then , I still find both Darth's & Petes' base the frontrunners .

CC

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 09:15 AM »
hiya ifindforu

thanks for a great post can't wait to try it but as with many i do have questions. what happens to the potatoes( are they boiled peeled or whole in their skins) and  could they be used in the final vindaloo?. is this a multi purpose base as with others or just for vindaloo as you have posted? no fresh coriander in the base or final dish? or is that a given? all purpose seasoning is it rajah as im sure they sell it in asda.
how much chilli powder to add to the final vindaloo?
how much base does this actually make? is it quite runny or do you have to water down after? do you have any other recipes?

regards

gary

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 09:22 AM »
obvious overtones of coconut ( perhaps a tad too much ) . I would also think that there would be a subtle difference when using either chicken stock cubes or  " special seasoning " . For bases to reflect a distinct BIR taste , one has to be very specific with the ingredients - generalizing , by stating one can use one ingredient or another tends to skew the results of the cooking method

cc

I share your concerns. Whether it be recipes in newspapers, celebrity author's cook books or anywhere, why oh why do recipes give options? The recipe may start by saying this is their favourite gravy, cake, curry or whatever and they always make it when anyone important calls. My guess is that they always prefer to make it exactly the same way each time. Either they include the 'option' or they don't!

Regards
George

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Hi curry queen you have to put the all purpose seasoning in last.You add a little at a time until you have a good flavour the potatoes can be used to make bombay aloo

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Ok Pete get the blender out for this tandori or tikka mix. First nput in the blender 1 tub natural yogurt, plus a quater cup of single cream then add a desert spoon of ginger and 1 of garlic.Now add 1 desert spoon of Pataks tandoori paste,1 desert spoon of Pataks tikka paste,and 1 teaspoon of Pataks kashmir masala 1 teaspoon of special spice, a squirt of lemon a shake of salt and some red or yellow colouring.Now add 1 desert spoon of mango powder,and blent all up cut your chicken breast and pour the mixture over it put into freezer bags and store until needed TERRY ps you can add some fresh coriander to the blend if desired

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Hi Curry Canuk maybe cut back on the coconut,but as you say the all purpose seasoning is a genuine must if you want the B.I.R taste and smell.If you are stuck email me and ill chat with you and even send some genuine restaurant powder and all purpose seasoning to you for you to give me your verdict after you have done it by the way George has kindly wrote it down more readable thanks TERRY

©2024 Curry Recipes