Poll

COMMENTS PLEASE

GOOD
5 (16.7%)
VERY GOOD
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: A Good Curry Base  (Read 68416 times)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A GOOD CURRY BASE
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Hi Terry

Made the base last night.  My kitchen smelt like an Indian restaurant.  It is the BEST I have ever made!  Strange how the bi-carb makes the onion base froth!   The all purpose seasoning and the large amount of garlic used are definately the missing  ingredients that have been needed to make this excellent base.  Thankyou so much for posting the base recipe and hope you will stay with us in the future to help.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2006, 11:52 PM »
Can someone tell me what all purpose seasoning is please (a link would be great) as i wish to make this base soon.
Thanks George for doing the new draft matey  ;D

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Can someone tell me what all purpose seasoning is please (a link would be great) as i wish to make this base soon.
Thanks George for doing the new draft matey  ;D
Here you go Darth, i think this is the stuff thats used, have seen it in an asian store but never used it....Yet!
http://www.simplyspice.co.uk/purpose-seasoning-p-289.html

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 12:53 AM »
Yes, make sure it is the right one - the name 'all purpose seasoning' is applied to products that are a mixture of chemicals and/or spices for use in Cajun, Jamaican, middle-Eastern, and Indian cooking. And they're all different.

I've got some of the Cajun stuff and there's no way it would work in a curry :o

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 07:00 AM »
I'm gonna give this a shot on the weekend

Offline slimboyfat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Hi,

I don?t know why he didn?t mention it be the author has a web site selling all the ingredients 

http://www.ifindforu.com/royalspicebox.htm

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 09:16 AM »
Made a vindaloo using this base last night and it's very, very good, easily one of the best bases I've tried.  :o

The all purpose seasoning definitely adds a flavor and smell that I didn't have before, I can't wait to start experimenting and tweaking it some more with what I already use.  For me the coconut was just right I thougth that it maybe would overpower everything but it didn't, I was surprised how subtle the taste was.

Thanks Terry for a fantatsic recipe  :D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 09:34 AM »
Found it before i got back to curry forum on simply Spice last night, but Thank you Jon for the link anyway  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 11:02 AM »
I found that Simply Spice have one of those most irritating web sites which try to bar you from copying html text. So I viewed page source and copied the list of ingredients from there. That's put me right off Simpy Spice and I will never buy anything from them.

"Rajah All Purpose Seasoning is a blend of Spices specially formulated to enhance the flavour of meat and poultry. For best results allow 1 teaspoon per pound of meat. Ingredients : Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Sugar, Flavour enhancer, Monosodium Glutamate, Mustard Flour, Free Flow Agent, Aluminium Silicate, Onion, Garlic, Celery, Cumin Seed, Chillies, Herbs."

Now, how much should be used? How many level teaspoons have others used so far, to get results which sound quite promising? The recipe said 2 chicken stock cubes but didn't say how much All Purpose Seasoning. Also I can't understand why it was mentioned as an after thought to stock cubes, if it's so crucial, which I'm sure it is.

If CK says to use the full block of coconut, that's good enough for me. But I'm surprised that you'd find so much coconut in, say a vindaloo, rather than a korma or CTM.

Regards
George

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Hi George,

The finished dish really didn't have a coconut taste just a subtle nutty flavour, one of my locals is like this and im sure this is why now.  I think if I was to make a CTM using the base I would follow my usual recipe and add creamed coconut in the final dish as well. 

As for the 'APS' try adding a little at a time as per Terrys other post, my base has 2 lvl tablespoons but I think maybe it migth have been better to use less and taste as I go.

cK
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:35 AM by Curry King »

©2024 Curry Recipes