Author Topic: One Pot Recipe  (Read 3554 times)

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
One Pot Recipe
« on: May 14, 2006, 04:50 PM »
I've just found this site and it looks very interesting.

I'd be interested in anyone's comments on this recipe. I've been trying for years to get that authentic restaurant taste and have been through many of the books. Some of them are nearly there (The Curry Secret) but none of them are spot on.

I saw this being made by a restaurant on a satellite TV show (can't remember which one). They didn't give any quantities, but I wrote it down and watched what they did, and have experimented a bit with it. This serves ONE person (if it's me) or maybe TWO depending on what you serve it with.

I hope this is the right sub-forum - it isn't an actual name-specific Restaurant Recipe and the main aim is to get the gravy taste right.

large chicken breast (cut into pieces)
1 large onion (chopped)
4 or 5 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp turmeric
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 tsp salt

2-3 tsp ground methi leaves
whole bulb of garlic
1-2 inches of ginger
4-5 tbsp chopped tomatoes
3-4 tbsp coconut milk
fresh coriander
water

Put the oil in a wok and fry off the onions slowly until they're golden. Increase the heat and add about three quarters of the garlic (crushed) and the ginger (pureed). Cook for 30 secs.

Add the chicken pieces and cook with continuous stirring. Try to get some colour on the chicken (not too much) - about 5 minutes.

Add about a cup of water and bring to the boil. Cook for a further 5 minutes.

Add the spices in blue and mix carefully. You may need to add a little more water at this stage (actually, you definitely will). Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and cook on a lower heat until the chicken is just about done. Add the ground methi and remaining garlic (crushed) and cook for a couple more minutes.

At the end, throw in the chopped coriander to taste (I use a whole bunch).

Sometimes I use a teaspoon of mint sauce to give it a tang.

The whole thing only takes about 45 minutes including preparation and in my opinion it is the closest I have got to the restaurant flavour.

I'd appreciate anyone's comments if they give it a try - and any suggestions.

The ONE THING I can't seem to get right no matter what recipe I use is that toasted garlicky smell you get when you hang around outside a curry house (sad or what?) and the garlicky 'afterburn' the next day ;)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: One Pot Recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Hi, good first post  8)

It's been disscussed on here quite a bit about browning the garlic\ginger pastes and that it does add a missing flavour maybe thats what you are after?

cK

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 08:17 PM »
Thanks.

Possibly... I have seen one recipe where you slowly cook a finely choped onion, garlic, and ginger in oil until it goes crispy and very dark brown and it did add something the one time I tried it. It kept for ages in the fridge. I'd forgotten about that one until you mentioned it and will have to try it again. Now that I think about it, it did give that distinctive smell.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Hi Snowdog,

I cooked it last night along with Fat Les's CTM for some friends and it was a great success,
By the way mint sauce is wicked. I also used it with some yogurt and tomato ketchup and chili powder to make an exceptional dip for bajis and papadoms.

Thanks

Panpot

Offline snowdog

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Glad you liked it, panpot. Nice and quick, isn't it?

Offline jimmylad

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 05:29 PM »
just tried this one today cos it looked quite easy & I have to say I'm quite chuffed with it.

Not quite a BIR but better than anything I have tasted from a jar etc.

I'm taking some sauce around to my mates tonight to get his opinion.

regards

jim

©2024 Curry Recipes