Author Topic: Spicing  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Spicing
« on: May 14, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Been thinking  ;)

I have been thinking of experimenting with using less spicing in my curries! The idea came about after reading some recipes, and it seems to me that indian restaurants would try and get away with using as little spices as possible. I have an idea that they would create a basic base sauce, something along the lines of Kris Dillion but would include a few whole spices (to fill out the taste) . Then when making the individual portions, they would reduce the sauce with oil, add salt, chillies and then spices and herbs. But alot of the flavour would come from the base sauce and the whole spices included. Unfortunately i havent be able to test this theory out yet as ive been going through the freezer using up all my base sauce and old saved sauces.

Anyone tried using less spices? It seems we might be missing out on some flavour because we assume that the flavour must come the ingrediences added after the base sauce has been reduced. There is a thought that "more is better"... what about "less is better"?

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Spicing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:19 AM »
Lately I have tried adding the spices at different stages, and and changed the quantities which always ends up with a different taste I also write down what I am doing and when I get it right, (to my taste )I tend to stick to that recipe for a while.

In my last Do Piazza I used whole fennel seeds and that gave it quite a nice taste.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:49 PM »
I always use whole fennel seeds in my Lamb Bhoona They always give the finished product a distinct taste which I like.

But be sure to add them at the earliest cooking stage because they are quite a hardy spice and they will leave your curry with a horrid texture of uncooked seeds.

Layne   ;)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:51 PM »
I added them right at the beginning, along with the chilli powder.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Been thinking  ;)

I have been thinking of experimenting with using less spicing in my curries! The idea came about after reading some recipes, and it seems to me that indian restaurants would try and get away with using as little spices as possible.

Anyone tried using less spices?  "less is better"?

My local makes a very simple base
All the "magic" happens in the final pan
Get the curry gravy oil really hot
Don't use to much spice (desertspoon) and keep the tom puree,spice ,salt, chopped fresh coriander,garlic ginger and a little curry gravy to a dryish paste that you stir frequently
If it is drying add a little more curry gravy oil or curry gravy
Stir for four of five minutes like this
After that it's hard to go go wrong
Just add some curry gravy to the right consistancy with the precooked ingredients

©2024 Curry Recipes