Author Topic: Gendies Base sauce + simple Madras recipe  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Gendie

• Chef
    • View Profile
Gendies Base sauce + simple Madras recipe
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:32 PM »
This is my recipee for a base curry sauce, can be used for all curries but i only go for a hot madrass or vindaloo take away
taste..

Firstly the oils used in my local take-awayz is vegetable ghee, it cooks the food at higher temps than normal oils can and absorbs the flavour of the spices better.
i only cook this for myself so depending on how much of this stuff you wont to make change quantities accordingly.

THIS MAKES ABOUT 4 DECENT PORTIONS OF CURRY

3  Large Onions
4 cloves garlic
1 N 1/2 inch of fresh ginger
1 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
cup, quarter filled with tomatoe puree rest water
1/2 teapsoon of salt
1 teaspoon tumeric

coarsly chop, onions, garlic ginger, fry lightly in oil untill softend for about 5 mins, then put this mix into a blender with a little water and blend very well (looks kinda like sloppy porage)
heat about 1/5 of a cup of oil in a pan then add the blended mix, keep on high heat continually mixing for about 5 or 10 mins or untill its golden brown (none stick pan would be best for this) REMEMBER GOLDEN BROWN !  NOT BROWN OR DARK BROWN.
take of heat. (tastes yumee and nutty at this stage)

Put the tomatoes and the tomatoe puree mix with the water into the blender and blend well (no lumps)
put this tomatoe mix in a big pan with a little oil, cover and simmer for 10 mins, (scoop of any froff that build on the surface) now add the onion garlic ginger mix to the tomatoe sauce and mix well  add tumeric. ( add little water if its too thick), cover and lightly simmer for 1 hour. stir occasionally.

ALL DONE.

Ive tried many other variations ie, boiling the onions garlic n ginger for hours, although the out come can be good, the smell stinks out your house, and if resturants cooked it that way im sure i would of noticed the smell.

Continued MADRASS,

I precook my meat here ill use chicken, cut up chicken into chuncks, bring pan of water to the boil, then turn down to a simmer, add the chicken only cook for a couple mins untill they turn white then take out of the water. cool n freeze if you wish to use at later date.

Heat oil in a pan, add base sauce (bring to the boil) add 1 teaspoon cumin stir cook for 3 mins then add chicken (cook for 2/3 mins,) add 1/2  teaspoon of salt and X ammount of chilli powder, mix and cook for further 2 mins, then add 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala (good  quality fresh is best even better makin your own) cook for 30 seconds then take of heat, sprinkle FRESH corrianter on surface  N mix in.

EXTRA note

save cup of the fried porage mixture, (before u add to the tomatoes) add tablespoon of tomatoe paste to it and a lil lemon,  and half teapsoon of frsh ground black pepper, MIX. when your making your curry add a tablespoon of this side mix to the curry, (ADD ABOUT 30 SECS AFTER ADDING CHICKEN)..

pheew, hope all that makes sence Let me know what u think.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:47 PM by Gendie »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Gendies Base sauce + simple Madras recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:50 PM »
Hi Gendie,

This seems quite similar to the KD base, have you tried any of the other recipes on this site and if so how do they compare to yours?

Cheers
cK

Offline Gendie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Hi,
i only found this site today so havent tried any recipee's from here, but i definatly will.
ive been trying to recreate that Indian takeaway at home for about 2 years now bought the books ask'd the question tried many many many wayz, the recipee above is my evolution of trying that im happy with.. some other base sauce recipes sound good n ill try soon.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Ahhh yes I should have seen that you only registered today  :-[

Anyway welcome to the site and it would intresting to know how recipes compare when you have tried a few, especially if your nearly 'there' with yours.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Ive tried many other variations ie, boiling the onions garlic n ginger for hours, although the out come can be good, the smell stinks out your house, and if resturants cooked it that way im sure i would of noticed the smell.

Hi Gendie
You would not smell the onions boiling in a restaurant because they are boiled in huge amounts sometimes 2 days before.
They are blended and stored in bucket like containers and put into their fridges until required I have noticed this in my Indian friends kitchen.
The gravy is usually made the day before using and always cooked while the establishment is closed so you are not going to have that lingering smelly onion boiling aroma you get at home.

Just thought I'd make a comment about commercial Indian kitchens.
Layne   ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:52 AM by laynebritton »

Offline Gendie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Hi

ill make "Darths BIR 100% Clone Base Sauce" hopfully this week and ill post the results.

guess it would be more sense to boil the onions for a resturant cause of the huge batches
required,  but from experience i wouldnt say its the apex of how it should be done.

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:28 PM »
No I agree with you totally they are taking the easy way out by producing these large batches of gravy to use as a base then adding different ingredients for different dishes.

And as a result (in my opinion) that is why the standard of BIR as a whole as dropped considerably in the last 10 years !

What they are doing is make money as fast and as easy as possible to keep their Mercs and BMW's on the road Oh and send a bit home to their family's in India.
Layne   ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:53 AM by laynebritton »

Offline Gendie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:49 PM »
i agree the taste of take away currys has droped, when i first left school 11 years ago thats when i was first introduced to indian currys, and i absolutly loved it, still do, but currys i order today just dont seem to match the curries i used eat, for awhile i thought maybe id burnt out my tastebuds but after trying every indian within 6 mile radius from me, ive finally found a nice little indian resturant that delivers to the expectations from my early years..

anyway this is a great site i will be a regular vistor and hope to help perfect take away food at home.

©2024 Curry Recipes